Old school trick???

-

jhdeval

Reaction score
Okay so I heard or read or talked about an old school trick of putting a cap of brake fluid in oil to help with leaks. Something about it swelling gaskets. Does this work on rubber gaskets? My windshield gasket is not leaking but a bit dry and rather then replacing it I was going to try to revitalize it. If not this any other suggestions?

I put a pint of brake fluid in a transmission to swell the seals. it lasted about 6 months before I lost the trans. if you get that stuff on a tire and *don't wipe it off*, it will bubble the tire. yes it works, just have to be careful with it

Before there was tire shine we used brake fluid to make the tires black.

that's crazy lol. I have spilled that crap on tires when bleeding my brakes only to see bubbles right where it was the next day. I didn't see it when it was spilled , so I didn't get to wipe it off

I sure wouldn't want to use it on a windshield gasket, you know what it does to paint...
C

I put a pint of brake fluid in a transmission to swell the seals. it lasted about 6 months before I lost the trans. if you get that stuff on a tire and *don't wipe it off*, it will bubble the tire. yes it works, just have to be careful with it

that's crazy lol. I have spilled that crap on tires when bleeding my brakes only to see bubbles right where it was the next day. I didn't see it when it was spilled , so I didn't get to wipe it off

We would put a little on a rag and wipe it on the old dried up bias ply tires and it would make them look new. I wouldn't do it today.

"Back when" I sold auto parts in the 70-80's, there was a fair amount of trouble between U.S. vs British Girling brakes and fluid. Sometimes people with British cars would mistakinly buy U.S. fluid, and the brakes would go away.

Another little interesting tidbit was IHC "Shouts." The Scouts used a Girling system for the clutch, and people were always getting the cap--which was marked---all rusted, greasy, and dirty, or just didn't read, and dumping U.S. fluid in 'em.

This is just me but I won't be putting ANYTHING in the engine or trans that does not belong there.

we used to put in transmissions (a cap full) to help soften and swell the o-rings/seals as a band-aid to buy time. Never tried in an engine... whats leaking?

Nothing is leaking I am looking to try and give my windshield gasket a bit more life. I just don't have the money to replace the gasket and have it installed. 200+ as last check.

I wold be careful getting it near the paint. Try covering it with a good amount of Vaseline and let it sit in the sun for a while. I have used it to bring back leather and vinyl seats etc. restores natural moisture and makes it more supple. Have used it on tires as well to bring them back.
My sun visors were all hard but not cracked yet from being dried out. I covered them in Vaseline for a while in the sun and a few days later wiped it all off and they were back to what they were years ago. My neighbor uses it on his fiberglass boat and swears by it. It also will work on headlight prongs to prevent corrosion and make better contact. Better than buying the little packets of stuff they sell at parts stores. Can also ease rusted bolts being taken off or put on as well. It is inert and safe to use and will block out moisture as its a refined petroleum product. I've used it for tail light sockets before the bulb is installed to keep out corrosion. Works on contacts for the amp meter temp sensor etc as they are known to corrode.

Heck even had my wife using it on her mustangs paint in the sun to bring back the color and moisture. She then removed it a couple days later after it sat in the sun and waxed the car and looked much better....... There are many trade secrets you can discover by friending an old school mechanic.

WD-40 can remove bugs and tar as well as spray paint from your paint finish. Then clean and wax the area afterwards though. Its Also been known to soften up rubber bits too.

A little Auto trans fluid in the gas can clean out carbon. But so can a little water in the carb while its running as well.

I was taught by an old school mechanic years back......

On newer cars use berrymanns b-12 chemtool cleaner in the gas to fix stumble on idle, poor power, engine check light, and running rough due to dirty injectors. The injector cleaning service they try and sell you for over 100 bucks is bullcrap. Add it to the tank and drive it on the freeway a while and your done. Saved my sis 200 bucks on her subie last month. She uses off brand gas to save cash but it gunks up the fuel system

To quote an old timer that has long passed away. He use to say " Use a little brake fluid and you can stretch a knats *** over a telephone pole"

i re-installed my rear window awhile back, and could not find a gasket, so i had to use the old one, a friend that does glass told me to use wd-40 on the gasket and it will bring it back to life.............it did, the gasket looked brand new after lubing it up w/wd........and was pliable......
higgs

i re-installed my rear window awhile back, and could not find a gasket, so i had to use the old one, a friend that does glass told me to use wd-40 on the gasket and it will bring it back to life.............it did, the gasket looked brand new after lubing it up w/wd........and was pliable......
higgs

I heard this trick also. But I was told to spray it real good and place it in a garbage bag in the sun all day. I didn't mention it because he wasn't removing it to place it in a bag. Never tried it but I heard this works wonders.

I heard this trick also. But I was told to spray it real good and place it in a garbage bag in the sun all day. I didn't mention it because he wasn't removing it to place it in a bag. Never tried it but I heard this works wonders.

yep, it works, we didn't stick in in a bag as i recall, just sprayed it down real good and i believe we let it sit for an hour or so.........
higgs

Back i the 80's I worked at an auto parts warehouse that sold mostly chemicals. We would get damaged cases of armor all- sometimes even gallons. We were told to take it to the edge of the parking lot and dump it in the ditch!....Wellllll.....We would find a cup or beer can and fill it up. I had the shiniest tires and half vinyl top on my charger! But, also used lots of it to soak old body and taillight gaskets with. Had tons of it free, and it didn't hurt paint....worth a try.

Years ago a bodyman told me about soaking the windshield(front/back) gaskets in Armor-All too.

Get one of those green scrubber things out of the kitchen and lots of elbow grease. DO NOT! use brake fluid unless you plan on repainting the car real soon.

Car is currently in Epoxy primer. It was a lot of work getting there so I don't want to do it again right now. lol.

cuda65vpt. What are you suggesting with the green scrubby? Just buff the surface down or scuff the surface and then wd40? I had thought about this once or twice.

As you are still in primer, be sure that you don't try any "tricks" that might involve silicone. I don't know if WD-40 has any or not, but I would be leary of using anything that might have an oily residue.
C

Good tip clyher. I will keep that in mind. I did plan on putting some tape down around the edges to try and ease cleanup but that is not a sure fire answer.

You have been quoted $120+ for installation? I just bought a get gasket on ebay for $80. On my 65, there was hidden issues under the gasket and Im glad I removed it and found them and fixed them.

Wow! Ancient memories brought back with the brake fluid on tires comments.
Back in very early '71 I had a motor pool sergeant tell us to wipe down the tires on all our vehicles with brake fluid to make them all nice and shiny black for an upcoming inspection. He paid no attention to our expressed concerns over what long-term effect it may have on the tires.
Our tax $$$ at work!

-
Back