Old school trick???

-
You have been quoted $120+ for installation? I just bought a get gasket on ebay for $80. On my 65, there was hidden issues under the gasket and Im glad I removed it and found them and fixed them.

I was quoted 100 and I am pretty sure I saw the gasket for a 100 but they be less. I can call around a bit and check but I have a lot of money tied up right now in the engine.

Thank you I am calling around for pricing on pulling the windshield again. Its been a while since I called the last time.

With moldings and rubber flashings, I have had good luck restoring flexibility and softness by scrubing very well w dish soap water and scotch-brite pads to remove dirt, oil, and any crusty film. Then wipe down w WD-40 several times, though spray w WD-40 and put in bag sounds good. This has saved several cowl flashings/moldings.

3406pk, how long do they stay soft & pliable after this treatment. How difficult is it to remove the windshield and save the old gasket?
C

3406pk, how long do they stay soft & pliable after this treatment. How difficult is it to remove the windshield and save the old gasket?
C

I can tell you how I have done it. I do it on a hot day with the car in the sun. This makes the gasket as soft as possible, I then use a plastic knifer to unstick the rubber from the glass. I them start pushing from the inside out. If you have someone to help you by pushing while you work the gasket on the outside. once you get it started at the top and side keep working across the top to the other side. It will lift right out after you till the glass forward. The rear is a lot easier than the front for me.

Car is currently in Epoxy primer. It was a lot of work getting there so I don't want to do it again right now. lol.

cuda65vpt. What are you suggesting with the green scrubby? Just buff the surface down or scuff the surface and then wd40? I had thought about this once or twice.

Just buff it down, I would be hesitant about putting any foreign substance on that might screw up your finish. Any oil will cause fish-eye in future paint and might make the paint not stick. Elbow grease is just muscle power. :D

Okay so I heard or read or talked about an old school trick of putting a cap of brake fluid in oil to help with leaks. Something about it swelling gaskets. Does this work on rubber gaskets? My windshield gasket is not leaking but a bit dry and rather then replacing it I was going to try to revitalize it. If not this any other suggestions?

Gojo with lanolin..cleans hands pretty good too!

Wow! Ancient memories brought back with the brake fluid on tires comments.
Back in very early '71 I had a motor pool sergeant tell us to wipe down the tires on all our vehicles with brake fluid to make them all nice and shiny black for an upcoming inspection. He paid no attention to our expressed concerns over what long-term effect it may have on the tires.
Our tax $$$ at work!

Sarge didn't give a rat's patootie about the long term effects! He was probably up for rotation soon anyway. And, if those tires had failed it would have been YOUR fault anyway!

BC

-
Back