OLD socket set!!

-

Denvermike

Reaction score
I got this from my dad when he died in 1963. He did not do any mechanical type work. I think he may have got the set from his uncle. My great uncle was an engineer on Great Lakes ore ships. This set could be from the early 1900's. Do have more sockets, just wanted you all to see the 1/2" hex drive system. If anyone knows anything about these I would love to know. No markings except sizes on sockets.
Mike

Attachments

• wrenchfilter 001.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 359
Nice. Sometimes the foundry use to put its mark right around the socket size markings. In the past I have seen foundries using a diamond, circle, circle with a dot in the center, diamond with a dot in the center, and others.

Cool! Nothing like old tools, I really dig the knurling around the bottom.

There were all sorts of sockets and socket drives before things became "somewhat" standardized. I once had a 5/8 drive impact surplus. It was a huge, heavy Thor, and as it turned out, even though brand new, was not worth hauling home.

Many early ratchets were not "male" fittings, or even square drive

Some of these jokers tried the old "we'll only make it our way so you have to buy our stuff," and of course the non-interchangeability in part ran them out of business

Someone, Blackhawk? made a 7/16 square drive for awhile

I like the idea of the hex drive. Kind of wonder why that didn't become the "standard"? Makes a lot of sense to me.

-
Back