Older 727 reverse lights

-

aw380

Reaction score
I have a 1971 340 Demon, with a 1968 727. I believe my problem is that the older trans. used a single terminal switch for neutral saftety. Can the "rooster" be simply replaced to allow for the three pin switch to allow for reverse lights?

Thank you but that does not work. I am under the impression the "rooster" is different. What kind of job is it to replace?

I also recall reading someone say the rooster was different between 1 terminal and 3 terminal NSS's. I am guessing that is because we want the center terminal to ground in either P or N, but want the two outer terminals to connect only in R (backup lights). That means the switch probably has 3 positions (off, neutral, backup lights). Still, if they were making trannys for both column and floor shift, I don't know why they couldn't have had the same rooster for both. Maybe the rooster only varied in early trannys that had only a 1 terminal NSS available. The NSS switch is cheap, so best to just try a 3-terminal one first.

Yes the part referred to as rooster comb is different. Been a long time but I think you'll need to drop the valve body to change that part.
My memory really sux so I cant say for sure if a slight different in the length of that rod that operates the park paw comes into play here. What I do remember is a guy moving a few parts from one trans to another and his finding there was a slight difference in lengths of those rods.
If you have a floor mounted shifter it would be soooo much simpler to place a reverse lamp switch there.

Column shift. I think I will attempt to remove, the rooster, and go from there.

Thanks, all, for the input.

I have the opposite issue, I have the 3 pin in my 67. I have been considering swapping to the single pin connector.

I found this.. the parts look so different not sure if its possible to just swap them out. I will probably just find a wire connector for the 3 pin and use the center wire.

NSSwitches.jpg

Column shift. I think I will attempt to remove, the rooster, and go from there.

Thanks, all, for the input.

Thank you but that does not work. I am under the impression the "rooster" is different. What kind of job is it to replace?

The "rooster comb" and the switch are both different.
It would require pulling the valvebody out and swapping the entire linkage shaft.

The part looks like this.

Attachments

• comb.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 467
Sure sounds like an easier fix than mine. I want the reverse lights to work, yours probably work off the shifter.

Thank you and have a happy New Year.

-
Back