Older 904 to Newer la or magnum?

-

ragtop

Reaction score
Can a older 64/65 904 trans bolt to a newer 68 plus motor, possibly a 5.2/5.9 magnum ?
Any link to an adapter.

Thanks

The torque converter pilot is different (early 1.55" vs late 1.80"). A simple adapter sleeve would have to be made or vibration/flex plate damage could happen. You can't swap the torque converter to the later style unless the transmission input shaft is changed because the splines are different from early to late.

The torque converter pilot is different (early 1.55" vs late 1.80"). A simple adapter sleeve would have to be made or vibration/flex plate damage could happen. You can't swap the torque converter to the later style unless the transmission input shaft is changed because the splines are different from early to late.

Thanks
Can I just use the torque converter I have ? also does anyone sell the 1.80 adapter ?

So, behind at the crank is a 1.55 hole?

So, behind at the crank is a 1.55 hole?

67 and older small blocks and /6's have the smaller 1.55" hole in the crank. 68 and up have a 1.81" pilot hole.

Ragtop I've seen the adapter ring on e-bay in the past but at the moment I ain't coming up with it. I'll keep looking

67 and older small blocks and /6's have the smaller 1.55" hole in the crank. 68 and up have a 1.81" pilot hole.

Ragtop I've seen the adapter ring on e-bay in the past but at the moment I ain't coming up with it. I'll keep looking

Thanks
Wondering if my 64 /6 trans I have in it now has the adapter since the motor is a 68 according to the block #'s ?
How about the 67 down torque converter working with the newer 68 up motor ?

IF I'm reading the posts right, a 71 904 should bolt up to a 95-97 5.9 mag. Am I right??
thanks Jim

Thanks
Wondering if my 64 /6 trans I have in it now has the adapter since the motor is a 68 according to the block #'s ?

It'd be easy to tell. Just measure the o.d. of the torque converter register. If it's 1.81" it's either a newer trans or has the adapter ring on it, which you should be able to see.
How about the 67 down torque converter working with the newer 68 up motor ?

Isn't that what we've been talking about? It takes the adapter ring to make it work properly. I've seen guys bolt up an older trans to a newer engine and it'll bolt up but there's nothing there to support the front of the converter so it eventually breaks the flexplate, the input shaft on the trans and/or ruins the converter.

your right Fishy on what he has but I have the 71 :) didn't intend to hijack his post tho so very sorry if I did

Jim

-
Back