older timing cover timing tab

-

siuauto

Reaction score
Ok, i am going with a ATI balancer and they interfere with the timing tab of the later covers. I can modify the timing tab or I can use the older cover with out the timing marks. I guess I have never payed attention to the set up on the older models. So if I go with an older version without the timing marks how do I set timing? Is there a bolt on timing tab?

The early covers fit everything and have a bolt on tab. you can make one easily with a bent piece of metal and a TDC mark.

Fyi... The integrated vs bolt on tab are not 90 deg apart so depending on where the mark is on your damper you may have to reistablish TDC on the damper.

Lastly, will you be able to see the mark with the water pump you will be using?

Put the (new) TDC mark anywhere you can see it and line up a tab pointer there.

Is the ATI already degreed/ marked? If so you are going to have to construct a pointer that is exactly the same place as the original "0" mark on the tab. This can be done, but you will need to take care to build something that won't loosen, vibrate, bend, etc and you might want to consider some method of indexing it AKA pins or tight fitting machine screws, etc

A piston stop will give you the right index, the riddle is getting the new one to fit "there"

So far as "the old style" if the ATI is marked RE: the later SB which is on driver's side, the older tab off the 273/318/340 up through ? 70? is on the passenger side

Is the ATI already degreed/ marked? If so you are going to have to construct a pointer that is exactly the same place as the original "0" mark on the tab. This can be done, but you will need to take care to build something that won't loosen, vibrate, bend, etc and you might want to consider some method of indexing it AKA pins or tight fitting machine screws, etc

A piston stop will give you the right index, the riddle is getting the new one to fit "there"

So far as "the old style" if the ATI is marked RE: the later SB which is on driver's side, the older tab off the 273/318/340 up through ? 70? is on the passenger side
Yes, the ATI balancer is marked so does that mean my new timing mark will have to align with the zero mark on the balancer? If so, I think it is going to be easier to modify my later version with the integrated timing tab.

make a new timing tab with timing marks that'll be visible with everything assembled (the 273 one bolted to the bottom 2 water pump bolts if it helps) and mark the damper accordingly. as long as the 'old' marks are lined up when you remark the damper you're sorted. then remove the old pointer from the existing timing cover, no need to change it out.
neil.
ps i don't know the make of my damper but it has 2 marks so can be used with early and late timing cover/pointer types.

timing tape...line it up anywhere that is convenient. You can use a pointed piece of 16G sheet metal under a close bolt for a pointer..not going to move on you. I would not stress over the pointer as the timing marks are on the tape. 7.074 OD as per ATI page?

timing tape...line it up anywhere that is convenient. You can use a pointed piece of 16G sheet metal under a close bolt for a pointer..not going to move on you. I would not stress over the pointer as the timing marks are on the tape. 7.074 OD as per ATI page?
Yes it is 7.074" OD

7.00 is Chevy BBC size. just get a tape for that app. .07 difference isnt gonna kill you in timing. iirc ATI uses Chevy size outers and Mopar sizes hub.

-
Back