omni paint question

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.
I am in the process of having my 68 Barracuda painted, part of the deal is that I purchase the base and clear. The engine bay is already painted with omni PPG "GG1"single stage. Now I have to get PPG base / clear for the rest of the car. The other day I stopped by my local paint supplier and they recommend Omni base and matrix euro clear. They said if I wanted PPG "GG1" pretty much my only option was Omni. I have only hear bad reviews about Omni,
Any suggestions guys?
Thanks

My good friend used to swear by the omni paint for a decent looking low buck paint job.

My good friend used to swear by the omni paint for a decent looking low buck paint job.
Good to know.. the guy at the paint supplier told me the same thing. I guess I need some reviews on Omni from guys that are actually holding the gun. Another thing, Omni has a line called "Omni plus" but apparently GG1 is only available in the standard Omni
Thanks

Years back, the OMNI paint went on pretty thin. It took many coats to cover. It was reformulated at some point and seemed fine the last few times I sprayed it.
Good luck.

Hey guys.
I am in the process of having my 68 Barracuda painted, part of the deal is that I purchase the base and clear. The engine bay is already painted with omni PPG "GG1"single stage. Now I have to get PPG base / clear for the rest of the car. The other day I stopped by my local paint supplier and they recommend Omni base and matrix euro clear. They said if I wanted PPG "GG1" pretty much my only option was Omni. I have only hear bad reviews about Omni,
Any suggestions guys?
Thanks
Ask your paint supplier to call PPG's 1 800 number and ask for a profit reading in DBC. Omni basecoat generally sucks. I have not used much Matrix but I cant believe they suggest mixing paint systems.

Ask your paint supplier to call PPG's 1 800 number and ask for a profit reading in DBC. Omni basecoat generally sucks. I have not used much Matrix but I cant believe they suggest mixing paint systems.
Yes I questioned mixing the Omni base and matrix clear also, he said it wouldn't be a problem. I will be going back in and getting more info before purchasing. . Thanks

Years back, the OMNI paint went on pretty thin. It took many coats to cover. It was reformulated at some point and seemed fine the last few times I sprayed it.
Good luck.
Were those recent sprayes with metallic ? Solid seem ok. I havent shot Omni metallic in a while.

Yes I questioned mixing the Omni base and matrix clear also, he said it wouldn't be a problem. I will be going back in and getting more info before purchasing. . Thanks
I mix systems all the time on little jobs. I wouldn't do it on a complete repaint.

I personally wouldn't mix paint systems. I've seen what can go wrong. Do it right, stick to one line.

That's not to say, people don't get good results with mixing systems.

Sidenote, Matrix is a low cost low-med quality paint. The clears UV protection isn't that strong.

If you do a google search comparing paint companies different lines *Tiers* you'll find the majority of the difference is pigment and UV protection which is the make or break for a long lasting paint job.

Were those recent sprayes with metallic ? Solid seem ok. I havent shot Omni metallic in a while.
This was in 2001 and my problems were with a solid color, a red in fact. I have sprayed their base coats, single stage paints and have not had a complaint. MY local supplier dropped OMNI and now offers Shopline and PPG so I usually go with Shopline for cars that I am selling.

The engine bay is already painted with omni PPG "GG1"single stage.
You need to be careful. Single stage and base clear are very difficult to get looking the same. I'd be willing to bet that when you pop the hood, you'll be able to see a noticeable difference between the fenders and the engine bay. I would NEVER paint one part of my car with one type of paint, and another part with another. Please make sure you try a spray panel to compare to engine compartment.

I was wondering if that would be a problem using single stage in engine bay and B/C on exterior and apparently it's done quite a bit on this forum. And with the shadows I hope it's not to much of a big difference, besides my car is a driver.. but if it's that bad it will give me a reason to pull the engine in a year lol. thanks for the info.

I sprayed my engine bay, assorted small parts, and front gravel pan with Omni MBC and Omni+ MC161 clear last year, over DP40 Epoxy primer and MP282 Omni High build primer, using an Eastwood Concours gun, in a makeshift booth in my garage. My paint store said there'd be no issue spraying Omni products over the PPG DP40. Followed the info. sheets curing times as well as i could. Very pleased with the results, and so far no evidence of solvent pop or any kind of incompatability, and the color match and metallic is near perfect (F5). The clear wet sands and polishes nicely. It did take 3-4 coats of MBC to cover completely and I had to be careful not to run it, so the comments about the basecoat being thinner than a top of the line brand may be valid. I should mention that this was the first time i've ever sprayed anything other than primer so i'm sure my technique could be better. Just my experience, hope it helps.

Well it looks like I'll be going with the Omni base and Omni clear.. spent the last 2 weeks looking for another option locally and found nothing. . The Cuda is pretty much ready for paint. Thanks guys for the info.

Well it looks like I'll be going with the Omni base and Omni clear.. spent the last 2 weeks looking for another option locally and found nothing. . The Cuda is pretty much ready for paint. Thanks guys for the info.

Darren,
I'm doing my 1968 Cuda now and am deciding between Omni or PPG for the base coat. My fender tag color code is PP1 Red- in PPG Code- 71483 How did your Cuda turn out? Did you go with Omni? Any info would be much appreciated.
Tim

-
Back