One for the epoxy lovers

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I swear this guy sleeps with a can of Splashzone on his bed stand.

IMG_1950.jpeg

So where CNC ends epoxy begins?

I just started following some of his stuff on here several weeks ago and I couldn’t tell you. He’s always building up something and while most of us avoid epoxy except for maybe sealing he’s not afraid one bit of using it. I did buy some sealer he likes

image.jpg

NHRA class rules for superstock dictate the as delivered from the factory accepted CCs for cylinder heads. They fill the bottom of the ports to be able to raise and re-shape them for better line of site and airflow potential. It's been proven many, many times that improving the line of site and short side radius, even though flow numbers may not improve, will make more power and lowering the port bottom in an effort to get to some magical cross section number almost always doesn't turn out as expected even if flow numbers go up. You can actually hear it on a flow bench as it's much smoother.

Just hate to think what happen when some of that breaks loose and go into the Motor

Just hate to think what happen when some of that breaks loose and go into the Motor
I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I do a lot of powder coating. I have gotten pretty good at coating badly pitted and damaged metal. I do whatever I can to repair the metal (weld, sand and hammer and dolly), and then use JB Weld like filler. It fills in pits and other flaws, sands smooth like filler and is good up to 500 degrees. It cures so hard you can drill it and tap it with threads.

Back in the late 90's there was a guy in my complex Sandy Rainey.. He built Yamaha two stroke engines for GP Motorcycle racing... He would alter the port timing by adding epoxy to the transfer ports & exhaust port.... In a two stroke there are no valves, the piston opens & closes the ports, that means the rings are in contact with the epoxy... Sandy tried a lot of different epoxies & no normal products could survive at 16,000 rpms & exhaust temp pushing 950 degrees... He only found one product that lived in that environment & it came from Japan... It wasn't available in the US.. Whenever he travelled to Japan he would bring a few boxes of it back with him...

Oh, his son was a pretty talented rider... Wayne Rainey... Three Time GP Motorcycle World Champion

Back in the late 90's there was a guy in my complex Sandy Rainey.. He built Yamaha two stroke engines for GP Motorcycle racing... He would alter the port timing by adding epoxy to the transfer ports & exhaust port.... In a two stroke there are no valves, the piston opens & closes the ports, that means the rings are in contact with the epoxy... Sandy tried a lot of different epoxies & no normal products could survive at 16,000 rpms & exhaust temp pushing 950 degrees... He only found one product that lived in that environment & it came from Japan... It wasn't available in the US.. Whenever he travelled to Japan he would bring a few boxes of it back with him...

Oh, his son was a pretty talented rider... Wayne Rainey... Three Time GP Motorcycle World Champion
that is wild. i owned a RZ350 that i bought in boxes and included some high end race parts that were supposedly from Rainey/Yamaha race team. there were several ported barrels that did have epoxy in them.

I just started following some of his stuff on here several weeks ago and I couldn’t tell you. He’s always building up something and while most of us avoid epoxy except for maybe sealing he’s not afraid one bit of using it. I did buy some sealer he likes

View attachment 1716219153
devcon is no joke. i've used it to seal up the wells in Q-jets and repair TQ bodies. glove up and tape/paper off the work area. anything that stuff cures on it's gonna be there a LONG time.

My 79, Glidden pro-stock heads. The intake has high volumes of epoxy, as well.

Note canted valves and "W2" heads...

Glidden engine 1.jpg

My buddy was kicking around buying a set of Batten heads years ago that had a lot of epoxy in them. They flowed in the 332-334cfm area but the epoxy was cracking real bad. I advised against buying them because he wouldn’t have been able to repair them and I wasn’t going to repair them.

that is wild. i owned a RZ350 that i bought in boxes and included some high end race parts that were supposedly from Rainey/Yamaha race team. there were several ported barrels that did have epoxy in them.

What happened to that bike? If you have it either my brother or I would be interested in it

What happened to that bike? If you have it either my brother or I would be interested in it
that baby is long gone to saskatchewan.

wish i'd kept it or the daytona, but alas, if i knew then what they'd be worth i would've kept all the mopars and parts too.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. I do a lot of powder coating. I have gotten pretty good at coating badly pitted and damaged metal. I do whatever I can to repair the metal (weld, sand and hammer and dolly), and then use JB Weld like filler. It fills in pits and other flaws, sands smooth like filler and is good up to 500 degrees. It cures so hard you can drill it and tap it with threads.
Some years back, I had Lingenfelter & Hogan sheetmetal intakes here, both finessed with epoxy. Anywhere the epoxy is "feathered in", or at an edge spread thin, pieces will eventually chip or flake off. If the intake or head will get routine inspection/maintenance, it wouldn't pose a problem, it'd be spotted & fixed before pieces started leaving..

Hi Everyone - this reminded me of a question I've wondered about...has anyone ever filled in the exhaust gas recirculation ports in their stock SB heads? It seems like it would be a good idea to match the bowls...but I never wanted to tackle that chore.

Hi Everyone - this reminded me of a question I've wondered about...has anyone ever filled in the exhaust gas recirculation ports in their stock SB heads? It seems like it would be a good idea to match the bowls...but I never wanted to tackle that chore.
Yeah have a set of heads like that that a friend has done. He melts aluminium down and pours it in then tidies it up.

-
Back