One fried wire

-

19Valiant69

Reaction score
Heres the Skinny: A bone stock( only mod is a petronix HEI conv. and Accel coil) 1969 Valiant 100 with a /6 225.

Driving Home one day I hit a nasty pothole, gotta love Massachusetts, Destroyed my alt., a ballast resistor, and volt. reg., all those have since been replaced. Still having the issue of battery not charging, so I started chasing wires. I replaced some half assed electrical connection made by a previous owner. and decide to pull the connectors from the firewall and flush and clean them.

The middle one on the fire wall, the alternator connection terminal is fried. I plan on bypassing the bulk head connector, if it were more than one wire I would replace the whole damn thing.

The question is, what color wire is on the opposite side of the bulkhead for the alternator connection?

Not a fan of hanging upside down under a dash longer than nec.

Thanks

Pull the front seat, only 4 nuts and youll be miles ahead the next morning. I think its black...YOu would think it should be red, but its heavy black on my '65

Thanks I thought it might be black but wanted a second opinion. The whole front seat thing isnt much of an issue I can work quick and right if I know what I am looking for and I am not the tallest so I can lay comfortably on the floor.

I have been watching all the Alternator issue threads and I figured I would get some help from 67dart, you seem to know the Mopar electrics back ad forth. Thanks again guys.

Ok repaired the wire, but no change. still no charge going to the battery.

With a solid state regulator it wont charge the battery with a black box regulator it over charges. I can't wrap my head around why.

any suggestions??

Ok repaired the wire, but no change. still no charge going to the battery.

With a solid state regulator it wont charge the battery with a black box regulator it over charges. I can't wrap my head around why.

any suggestions??

OK, let's get straight what you actually have:

Do you still have the 69/ earlier system with one field wire like this:

http://www.musclecars.net/parts/par...tor-for-1961-69-mopar-b-body_370303095941.jpg

or the 70/ later system with the solid state regulator like this:

http://images.marketplaceadvisor.channeladvisor.com/hi/39/38778/p4529794.jpg

That is the very first thing we need to know and you cannot interchange the two.

IF you have the early style, this means you only have ONE field wire at the alternator, and the other brush is grounded.

IF so, you should be able to get the system to "full charge" for testing by simply hooking the two regulator wires together. IF this happens AND IF the regulators you have been trying are for certain GROUNDED, then you have at least one bad regulator

Install the regulator which overcharges and do these two checks:

1 key on, engine off, measure voltage between battery positive and the regulator IGN terminal. You want to see a VERY low voltage, the lower the better, .2V (two tenths of a volt) is getting to be two much, and as much as 1/2 volt is TOO much.

IF THIS is the case (1/2v or more), make up a temporary test jumper between the battery positive and the regulator IGN terminal. Hook it up only when you are going to start and run the car. Test the system running/ charging voltage with this jumper in place, and see if the voltage comes down to what it should be (around 14)

2 To test the ground circuit, again with the regulator which is charging, run the engine to simulate "low to medium cruise." Stick one meter probe on the battery negative post, and the other meter onto the regulator mounting frame. Be sure to "stab through" any rust/ paint/ chrome, and once again, you are looking for a very low reading, anything over .2V (two tenths of a volt) shows you have a ground problem.

I have the one field wire regulator, I was unaware you couldn't swap one ofr the other.

So after all the wire chasing and repairs, and tomorrow she will be sporting a new voltage regulator, she should run like a top.

Thank you for your time and attention, if I should have any other questions I will come to you guys drectly.

-
Back