One of you guys needs this.........76 Charger........

-
I had a 75 charger, and a 77 charger and they both looked like cordobas. This one has a fury salon body style that they made the last RM23 road runner out of. How it ended up with charger nameplates is anybodys guess. Is it an XS vin ?
I happen to own one of the "fury" nosed B bodys, so i came across this also. A "Sport charger" had the fury nose, the other "Chargers" got the cordoba nose. Mine is technically a 77 monaco 2 door, but has a 75 RR nose. bolted right on.

I happen to own one of the "fury" nosed B bodys, so i came across this also. A "Sport charger" had the fury nose, the other "Chargers" got the cordoba nose. Mine is technically a 77 monaco 2 door, but has a 75 RR nose. bolted right on.
is it like the ones that were in some of the "Hunter" TV episodes? I liked those. Sometimes, you could hear the Thermo's opening the secondaries on the TV chase scenes. Awesome sound effects, hahaha.

is it like the ones that were in some of the "Hunter" TV episodes? I liked those. Sometimes, you could hear the Thermo's opening the secondaries on the TV chase scenes. Awesome sound effects, hahaha.
mine looks identical to the red car in post 78, except since its technically a monaco, it has extra foglights in bumper, and the "wrong" taillights to be a Roadrunner.
It originally had the quad headlights also, so yup, looked like a hazard county patrol car, only a 2 door.

mine looks identical to the red car in post 78, except since its technically a monaco, it has extra foglights in bumper, and the "wrong" taillights to be a Roadrunner.
It originally had the quad headlights also, so yup, looked like a hazard county patrol car, only a 2 door.
yeah, I like those. I once had a 4dr ex cop car like that, w/ HP 400. I cannot remember why I parted it out. I sold the engine to a Mopar buddy, who claimed it was a forged steel crank engine. D'oh!

Personal luxury coupe. Thats the death they died, both the charger and road runner. By 1974 people were not looking for performance cars anymore. The fun suckers from the EPA and insurance companies took care of that. The emphasis was now on personal luxury coupes like the monte carlo. Opera windows, landau tops, compliant rides, formal rooflines and grilles, etc. Disco glamour and glitz was the style. Peoole recognised the charger nameplate, and its what got them into the dealership. You could still order the big blocks through 1977 and performance oriented packages in one of these for those who wanted one, but it was at best a neutered 400 wheezing through a catalytic converter. By this time you would be better off with an E58 360 as the HP numbers werent much different.
All so very true, but the 360 4 bbl engine (E58 was it?) had darn good power for its day, and fact is, anyone today can build any engine to the power level they desire and can afford. We all know after bout 72, performance was riding over the sunset, not a popular thing, the hippy movement, anti VietNam, the darned disco era was soon to poop on us, emissions was becoming a factor, gas crisis, the list is long, etc. I look at my 79 Volare sitting next to my 71 duster, so muck alike in so many body lines and shape, little bigger, Volare rides better, I live em both. What idiot named it the Volare and its cousin the Aspen!!!???????????????? WTF!??????????????????//

The Volare/Aspen F body were a natural outgrowth of the Dart A body. The main reason they were retiring the dart and valiant names was they were trying to update their image with newer offerings with fresh nameplates. The Dart and Valiant were aging, and geriatrics were buying them now. They needed to get a younger crowd into their show rooms. The Aspen had an R/T package, super coupe package, and the 360 4 speed was available. The Volare had a Road Runner sticker package, but the 360 4 speed could be optioned. The T bar roof package "sun runner" or sunroof options were there too. Spats, and spoilers were de riguer for the 70s. All the goodies to court the youth crowd.

The sad part about these cars was Chrysler hustled them into production in 1976 because of lagging sales and looming bankruptcy a full year before they should have. The consumers went in to buy them in droves, and ended up essentially being the vehicle testers. They went in on good faith and got tricked. Problems like stalling while making turns in intersections, bad rust issues. All of which Chrysler had to make good on under warranty. The Volare/Aspen rusted fender program cost the company millions of dollars when it could ill afford to pay it. These cars could have saved Chrysler before Lee Iacocca got there in 1979, but they succeded in pushing the company further in debt.

They did fix the bugs by 1980. Those versions were the best made of the Volare/Aspen but their front end and back end styling updates leave a bit to be desired compared to the earlier versions IMHO. Plus the issues with the earlier cars turned off a lot of potential buyers by then.

That being said theres a solid rust free 77 Aspen 2 door hardtop in the auto shop at the local high school my buddy is the auto tech instructor at. Faded silver original paint with red bucket seat interior with column shift. Slant sux automatic and has Cragar S/S wheels on it bigs and littles. No real options to speak of. Power steering, power disc brakes were standard by then. Its got A/C but thats about it. Car has a nice stance. I told him i wanted it. Nice mild 318 would be nice. He said its not for sale, but if it was he wants it first lol.

Last edited:
I had a friend in high school (1976) That bought a loaded Aspen with a 318 T-Tops,buckets , louvers , PW , Pl ,A/C , Cruise , Magnum 500 wheels in PW1 with Red stripe kit and red valour upholstry.
It was a stunning car ! I have yet to see another so loaded ....

I had a friend in high school (1976) That bought a loaded Aspen with a 318 T-Tops,buckets , louvers , PW , Pl ,A/C , Cruise , Magnum 500 wheels in PW1 with Red stripe kit and red valour upholstry.
It was a stunning car ! I have yet to see another so loaded ....
The t top was a pretty rare option back then. The guys that are into these F bodies now days get excited over the mention of T top. A v8 t top f body, solid, runner is worth thinking about if you stumble on one worth the coin, IMHO.

-
Back