One thing you could have again!

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I hear everyone say they wish they could have one food/recipe that their grandma made that tasted unique and no matter what you try, it won’t ever taste the same. Was thinking about this today as I tried to make Peanut Butter Fudge for my daughters school project.

for me, it’s gotta be my grandma’s rice pudding or her chilli. Neither of these were written down anywhere and both she got up super early to start. So she’d always do the work by herself.

what I would give to have just one more bowl of either and to hug her one more time.

For me it is just walking in the door of my grandparents home. The smell of that kitchen has stayed with me all my life and I’m an old guy.

Drinking the freezing cold well water from a stainless bucket with a stainless ladle that they kept in the "water cupboard". The ceilings in My Nanny and Pop's house were 5 foot 10 inches. Both lived to be almost 100. Pop was an East Coast fisherman.

My mom made a Pennsylvania Dutch style ham pot pie. I miss it.

She started by slowly simmering a ham hock in water. Once it started falling off the bone, she pulled the meat off and added it to her noodles and spices. I've tried to duplicate it but can't get close.

It would look similar to this but she used bowtie noodles instead of making her own.

ham-pot-pie.jpg

My Nonna had this little kitchen with a small kitchen table, everything was clean but old and worn
The place had character. She would make me a zucchini and egg or potato and egg on a piece of warm Italian bread that to this day I cannot duplicate
I remember sitting there enjoying that meal while both my grandparents would tell me stories of times past.

I would like to be taken back t Grandma's couch, sipping coffee and milk. Looking back it was more like milk and coffee, say 90% milk and 10% coffee. I was probably about 8 when I had my first cup and only had it when I went to her house. In my adulthood I became a coffee-holic.
Grandma wasn't an overly amazing cook. She had 14 kids and was probably over cooking by the time I came around but she had her hallmarks, chocolate pecan pie and pecan pie. Couldn't beat it.
Another culinary memory that is burned in the brain is lemon drops from a crystal dish on the neighbors coffee table. This elderly couple across the dirt road had a chicken ranch. I would go over there to get eggs for us and always get a lemon drop. Any proper old Grandma has a crystal dish with some kind of hard candy!

my great aunt stella's sugar cookies. they were sooooo soft even after 3-4 days. on a cold day, warm sugar cookies and milk was a great deal. had my wife make them from aunt's recipe and them suckers were HARDER THAN ODD JOB'S HAT in james bond. they would have probably killed somebody. haha. needless to say, i took recipe away from her.

Going Squirrell hunting when I was a kid with my Granpa and eating my Grama's cherry pie with cherries off their cherry tree.

Sadly, there isn't anything etched in my brain from either of my grandmothers. They were adequate cooks, but nothing stands out. I'm more into some things that I fix than anything I've had from older relatives...

For me it was Tuesdays noon meal at home. Tues. was bread day at home I’d come home for lunch from school, mouth watering all the way because I knew there would be dough gods for lunch. Mom would grab a chunk of fresh bread dough cut it off, stretch it out throw it in the cast iron fry pan with a 1/2 of bacon fat in it. They were sooooo good. Mouth watering now, a warm and fuzzy for sure

My Grandmother Warings Rhubarb Custard Pie. I got to spend summers with both sets of grandparents as soon as I could drive. Both Grandparents lived in the upper midwest and grew their own fruit and vegatables and baked bread from scratch. Anything and everything from either house would be on that list.

Home made spaghetti sauce from my mom's friend's tomato garden, and her lasagna.

Oh, and waking up without pain.

-
Back