Only runs in start

-

412 Stroker

Reaction score
Hello:

New to this forum, not new to mopars, here is my problem, Freshly rebuilt 360, now a 412 stroker, in a 1974 duster. Mallory 6AL ignition, & coil, first time I am firing it up, today, will not run unless ignition is in the start position, i am NOT using the ballast resister, I might have found my answer already not tried it yet though, apparently there is ign1 and ign2 on mopars, i have my 6AL hooked up the the old brown wire that went to the coil just like it says in the manual, according to the schematic i found on another web site, that wire only has 12 volts in the ign2 (start) position, there is a blue wire that went to one side of the resistor and that wire is ign1 which has voltage in both positions anyone here have an opinion?? I had the factory electronic in it before i put in the rebuilt motor. thanks for the help....

apparently there is ign1 and ign2 on mopars

Yep.

If you leave all the "stock" wiring and pulled the ballast resistor then you need to connect the 2 wires it went to together.

I think I'm right guys..........what say you?

Welcome.

Jim

apparently there is ign1 and ign2 on mopars

Yep.

If you leave all the "stock" wiring and pulled the ballast resistor then you need to connect the 2 wires it went to together.

I think I'm right guys..........what say you?

Welcome.

Jim
This is what I,ve done as I,m running my battery in the trunk and also have the ON/OFF kill switch.

I wanted to keep a stock look so I pulled the ballast and soldered a piece of 16 ga from terminal to terminal on the back side the re-installed it. Just make sure it doesn't short out on the firewall.

Thanks to all your help, I connected the blue and brown wires and it fired up and stayed running, now if i could only get it timed correctly...... thanks again.
tl

-
Back