Oops!

-
I lost two ring & pinions in the racecar last year. Both 4.30 gears, one was a 742 case & the other was a 489 case.
The 742 set had over 800 passes on them. The 489 were in a street car for years, used it to try finish the season with & broke it.
Went ahead & installed a new set in it. No more problems.

Thick ring gear. What is the ratio?

Crazy 4Sp driver probably dropped the clutch on it real hard. Just like I do in my '09 Challenger. My Cuda is an Auto with a standard 741 case 3:55. I have 200,000 miles on it and maybe 400 runs, and it still works! Nock on wood!
Good luck with the new gears!

Looks like a set of 3.91/4.10s just went into the garbage.

Also looks a little like the pinion depth was just a bit off.
Look at the shiny wear pattern on the ring gear teeth just to the right of the broken one.
Notice the pattern is close to the outside of the teeth (Same area that broke off the tooth)
It's pretty darn close to perfect wear pattern, just a little off center of the teeth.

Also looks a little like the pinion depth was just a bit off.
Look at the shiny wear pattern on the ring gear teeth just to the right of the broken one.
Notice the pattern is close to the outside of the teeth (Same area that broke off the tooth)
It's pretty darn close to perfect wear pattern, just a little off center of the teeth.
x2.....time for a dana ya got to love them 4speeds...............Artie

On the forth tooth (right of the broke one) you can see the tooth depth in the valley and I'd say you were dead nuts and equal on the inner and outer flank.

On the forth tooth (right of the broke one) you can see the tooth depth in the valley and I'd say you were dead nuts and equal on the inner and outer flank.

I see that too, but teeth 7-8 look a little different to me. Possible deflection in the ring gear due to the caps flexing if he's hittin' it really hard. Just a speculation on my part........

-
Back