Open to sure grip

-

cpearce

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Having never set up a center section on my own I am in need of a little guidance. I have an 8 3/4 489 center with 3.23 gears. I wish to remove the open carrier and install my powr lock clutch style sure grip unit using the same gears. Since I wont be removing pinion from case, if I set the side adjusters back in the same amount of turns will my gears still be patterned correctly? Thanks for the help everyone.

The side adjusters only set ring gear backlash, not the gear pattern. All you need to do is set the backlash of the ring gear "somewhere" between .006-.010" and you will be fine.

Thanks Rusty, should be pretty straight forward then.

if I set the side adjusters back in the same amount of turns will my gears still be patterned correctly?

Should be pretty close.

I usually mark the bearing caps so to put them back like they were, then using a dial indicator if you have one, check the backlash (the movement of the ring gear in relation to the pinion) by indicating on one tooth on the ring gear, set at zero and move the ring gear back and forth (without moving the pinion) and write that reading down..

Put it back together as closely as you can to where it's at now and it should be pretty close.

Thanks guys, always very thankful for the help and learnings from FABO! With help from others it is amazing what one can accomplish in their own garage, without having to pay others to do it.

With help from others it is amazing what one can accomplish in their own garage, without having to pay others to do it.

Rob's measurements above are accurate, but, if you do check with a dial indicator it 'might' be a little wider due to wear. Just set it back to that setting.

The closer you can get it the better to eliminate the possibility of howling.

DON'T forget the sure grip additive.

Fortunately I have access to a dial indicator. Thanks for reminder, I have a few bottles of the friction modifier.

The ring gear bolts are LH thread also, lefty tighty - righty loosey.

I got around to getting the 3.23 chunk pulled out last night. Upon inspection, I see some minor rust pitting on several teeth on the ring gear that were above the oil line. The rust is limited to about 6 or 7 teeth and does not seem deep, I can just catch my fingernail on it. Should I be concerned about this, or will it likely clean up with some run time?

20190128_090645.jpg

20190128_090654.jpg

20190128_090700.jpg

20190128_090734.jpg

-
Back