Opened up my carb today..

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
and look at all this crap I found inside my Edelbrock 1406 carb.I dont know what it is,its almost like sand!:wack:I even found a small dead spider in there.How he got in there,I have no clue.No wonder why my car idled and ran like garbage.I have a gasket kit and about to clean the hell out of it.Pics dont do this any justice.its filthy inside it and i really hope i can salvage it.=\Just thought I would share
Image10022010132445.jpg
Image10022010132352.jpg

filter time.

when fuel sits a while things can get grimy too.

Never buy gas from a station that just had their tanks filled, it stirs up all the sediment and then you pump it all into your gas tank and through your engine.jma

Had the tank cleaned and sealed,new sender and sock,blew out the lines and put new rubber hose between the tank line and pump and new filter before I opened the carb today.Im really glad I did open it up.Now that I remember,when I bought the engine,there was no fuel filter on it and the guy always started it with just a hose and a gas can.Hopefully she runs good after I clean and blow it out.:pottytra:

Never buy gas from a station that just had their tanks filled, it stirs up all the sediment and then you pump it all into your gas tank and through your engine.jma
Had this happen to me more than once.

Looks like rust too me, & when i look closer, i see the plateing is coming off also, don't know how well it'll clean up, but i'm sure better then what it is, the problem i see is "moisture" is getting in the fuel & it'll reak havick on any carb & metal lines, i ran some "heet" in my cell & that stuff works great, i was haveing a slight moister problem & it clear it right up, it never hurts running that stuff every once in a while.

Looks like rust too me, & when i look closer, i see the plateing is coming off also, don't know how well it'll clean up, but i'm sure better then what it is, the problem i see is "moisture" is getting in the fuel & it'll reak havick on any carb & metal lines, i ran some "heet" in my cell & that stuff works great, i was haveing a slight moister problem & it clear it right up, it never hurts running that stuff every once in a while.
Im going to get it as squeeky clean as possible.I may go with a Holley later since some are recommending it.

Looks as the inside of my eddy 1406 carb. I also had my old gastank sealed, I believe that the sealer couldn´t take the gas. What kind of fuel filter are you running? When I removed the chromed fuel filter it just rattled, maybe a coincidence don´t know.

The sand and other junk is what is getting passed the filter.

The spider? IDK.
I picked up a used "Sitting on the shelf" carb that had bugs in it too.

When I was having troubles with the carb on my old truck I found all kinds of interesting things in the float bowls. I cleaned the carb out a few times before I gave up and pulled the tank. The sock was wrecked. And there was all kinds of crap in the tank. And it was making its way past 2 a pre-pump and post-pump arrangement. What was scary was the truck was only 6 years old and only had about 40k miles on it when I started having troubles with it.

I discovered the carb has small screens before the float needles and they were clean.Still weird how crap gets pasts all this filtration:dontknow:Thanks guys,gonna take a break and then put it back together.Not a very hard carb to take apart,although I almost lost the little ball .lol

Well,I got the carb nice and clean,set the float and put it back to together.I start it up and wow,sounds and runs alot better!I let it run for a bit to set the idle because it was a little high and decide to take a test run.I get down the street and put put sputter,it dies!I kept cranking it and cranking it and nothing!:banghead::banghead:So I pop the hood and look in the carb and no fuel is squirting!So since im not far from my house(I have yet to go as far as down the street with the Duster because of this crap!)I walk back home and let it sit on the side of the road and I ride my bike back to the car.I get in the car and vroom,it starts!I put my bike in the trunk and on the way home,poof!,dies again.I look under the hood,sure enuff,no fuel squirting,so I decide just to sit in the car(and listen to the radio)after 20 mins vroom!,starts back up.Just as I barely get the car backed in to the yard,it dies..AGAIN!I looked in the carb again and barely any fuel squirting.This problem has been plauging me for awhile now,and its really starting to piss me off.Its got a new fuel pump,fuel filter.i dont know wtf to do anymore.:sad7:Are these signs of vapor lock?Its only 72 degrees today and the engine temp was 190 degs F .Any advice would be appreciated to cure this.

Sounds like the carb is not clean enough. Be sure to use compessed air to blow out every passage way. Easy carb to work on but they need to be immaculate inside.

Sounds like a fuel delivery issue for sure...... not to make waves but I never trust a "sealed tank" I have seen lots of so called "sea;er" products turn to $hit and clog up the entire works. remedy, new gas tank, blow out the lines using carb cleaner and at min 30 lbs ( steel lines will take it no biggy) replace the fuel pump and add filters one in the rear by the tank and one in the front after the pump..... two good filters should prevent even fine foreignmaterial from entering your bowl...HOWEVER it will not prevent sealer that has taken on a liquid property and after sitting in the bowl for a while turning to "sand" ......ALSO for what its worth Edlebrock carbs are typically considered throw aways....once they fail, they are not worth the time to regasket them......my guess is that "sealer" is the root cause of your issues. Again for what its worth, I have found that following the less expensive path dosen't always turn out to be so less expensive.
just an opinion trying to help ..... not a rant

Great,new carb,new fuel tank,new fuel pump,more money I dont have to spend.:sad7:
Thanks everyone,and dont be suprised if there a 72 Duster for sale soon
Im seriously at my wits end with this car,cant afford it anymore and Ive tried to make it work.

Even though you clean the bowl I would bet that water has entered other passages in the carb. When the water oxidizes with the aluminum a white crust forms that is very hard to get out. A sure fire way I have found to get it out is with SnoBowl which has a weak hydrochloric acid solution in it and will easily "eat" the oxidization. 5 to 7 minutes of SnowBowl and then rinse the hell out of it with fresh water. Massive heavy crust build up will wind up eating out the passages past the point that the carb was calibrated for and the carb wont run right. This trick is for marginally blocked carbs.Try not to get it on the outside of the card as it will absolutely eat any finish off. When you finish the inside of the carb will look like pot metal but who cares, who's going to see it. Start with each piece in the fuel system and find the problem. Science rocks this is coming from an ex public school science teacher

Great,new carb,new fuel tank,new fuel pump,more money I dont have to spend.:sad7:
Thanks everyone,and dont be suprised if there a 72 Duster for sale soon
Im seriously at my wits end with this car,cant afford it anymore and Ive tried to make it work.

Hey, my advice is to give the car a rest for a few days & think things over, don't jump the gun on selling it, take it from me, i have a habit of doing this with cars & always regret it, they will give you fits, they will break down & act up, there "old" & not getting any younger, so kick back & do something else & forget about the car for a bit.

Now on the issue in hand, it sounds like theres more likely a fuel delivery problem do to vapor lock, & it starts back up after it sits, i'll bet it might be the stupid filler cap, the system needs to vent somewhere, either the tank or the cap, try doing this, take the cap off & drive it around, see if it stops, you can get vapor lock in any weather, its not just the heat, what vapor lock really means is there is "vapor" AIR getting in the system, this normally accures from the system NOT venting propperly, then air gets trapped in the fuel lines, the reason its more common in summer months is the heating of the fuel ampliflies the vapor because heat exspands thus creating more air & faster, but in your case its more likely getting "NO" or very little venting in the system, now why it starts after sitting, this is simple, most stock FPs hold pressure after shut down, it can exspand & bleed past the needle/seats & put gas back in the bowl area, bingo the car starts & runs again, but once the air builds back up (behind the pump) it starves for fuel again & stalls out.

Thanks to everyones words of wisdom:-D
Sorry ,i was a grumpy bug yesterday.I really dont want to sell my car ,just got frustrated but today I have a much cleared head after a good nights sleep.:)I did clean the carb out very good,blew out every hole there is on it with carb cleaner and compressed air and it is immaculate inside.I popped off the top of the carb and its still very clean,you can almost eat out of it.Now that I remember,I put a new fuel filter and fuel pump BEFORE I cleaned the tank,put a new sending unit and sock,and blew out the fuel likes and replaced all of the rubber hoses.I removed the fuel filter and on the inlet side(before the carb) there was black sooty crap that came out.I then decided to remove the fuel pump and omg!the fuel tank side(the inlet that sucks the fuel from the tank ) was completely clogged with black chunks,it looks like chunks of old rubber hose.Hopefully,this was my problem because I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to it and it was only 3psi.I then hooked the fuel line to a clear container and while cranking the motor,it was only pumping out small squirts ,followed by small trickles.Guess the chunks clogged my fuel pump.:banghead:

Thanks to everyones words of wisdom:-D
Sorry ,i was a grumpy bug yesterday.I really dont want to sell my car ,just got frustrated but today I have a much cleared head after a good nights sleep.:)I did clean the carb out very good,blew out every hole there is on it with carb cleaner and compressed air and it is immaculate inside.I popped off the top of the carb and its still very clean,you can almost eat out of it.Now that I remember,I put a new fuel filter and fuel pump BEFORE I cleaned the tank,put a new sending unit and sock,and blew out the fuel likes and replaced all of the rubber hoses.I removed the fuel filter and on the inlet side(before the carb) there was black sooty crap that came out.I then decided to remove the fuel pump and omg!the fuel tank side(the inlet that sucks the fuel from the tank ) was completely clogged with black chunks,it looks like chunks of old rubber hose.Hopefully,this was my problem because I hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to it and it was only 3psi.I then hooked the fuel line to a clear container and while cranking the motor,it was only pumping out small squirts ,followed by small trickles.Guess the chunks clogged my fuel pump.:banghead:

See, all you need to do is step away & relax, Now that you found "the" problem because thats what it is, hate to say it but, you should drop the tank, make sure theres nothing in it, but it sounds like rubber hose coming apart, might be the hose at the tank if you never changed it, you may also need a new pump, i'm sure it stopped up all the inside (in the diaphram) & if its a sealed pump you'll never be able to clean it properly, so now you have a task in hand, have fun & keep us updated. You'll always know when its time to move on & sell your hotrod (prioritys), its alot easier to deal with it then.

See, all you need to do is step away & relax, Now that you found "the" problem because thats what it is, hate to say it but, you should drop the tank, make sure theres nothing in it, but it sounds like rubber hose coming apart, might be the hose at the tank if you never changed it, you may also need a new pump, i'm sure it stopped up all the inside (in the diaphram) & if its a sealed pump you'll never be able to clean it properly, so now you have a task in hand, have fun & keep us updated. You'll always know when its time to move on & sell your hotrod (prioritys), its alot easier to deal with it then.
Thanks ,and yes I was being hasty.I got a different fuel pump,new filter and went over the inside of my carb and all is clean.I am now going to get brand new fuel line and just replace the fuel tank with a brand new one even though the old one was cleaned and sealed.I want a reliable clean fuel system now so I dont have to change filters and clean the carb every week.

-
Back