opinion on 2015 -200

-

LS-300

Reaction score
Guys, I'm looking at purchasing a 2015 Chrysler 200. What do others think of this car? Any major item to watch out for?

A friend of mine bought a new one a year ago. Twice back to the dealer to have the auto trans replaced!

I am looking at other cars but they aren't MOPARs

The short list that I'm looking at is the 200, Dodge Avenger, Chevy Cruze, Chevy Malibu, Honda Civic or Accord

The short list that I'm looking at is the 200, Dodge Avenger, Chevy Cruze, Chevy Malibu, Honda Civic or Accord
I recommend searching online the model and problems as in Chevy Cruze problems to see what you may be in for before you buy anything. That is what made me buy the Focus instead of a Mopar or Chevy.

If I were going to buy a Ford it would probably be a Fusion. The Focus seems a bit small.
The years for any of them would be 2013-2015 as it looks to be the best years to get a reasonably low mileage reasonably priced,under 16k, car

They were poor sellers. The depreciation loss is huge. You have better options out there for the same money.
You ain't kidding!! Wish I would've known this a year ago!! They don't hold their value worth ****. We bought a 2016 200C new last January and it's worth probably half what we gave for it. Love the car but should've got a challenger and been better off

The Challenger would be a sweet buy except the Wife needs a sedan not a coupe. Her current car, a Honda Accord, we have had for 14+ years. So depreciation isn't as much of a factor as reliability.

Any new car, especially 4 door sedan family cars, will depreciate. If you buy a new sedan, buy it to drive. Of what you listed, the Honda's will have the best resale down the road, and may be the best vehicle of those you have listed. I would look hard at the Honda's.
the 200's though are pretty quick with the 3.6, though :D

The Challenger would be a sweet buy except the Wife needs a sedan not a coupe. Her current car, a Honda Accord, we have had for 14+ years. So depreciation isn't as much of a factor as reliability.
Yea that's the main reason we got the 200 as well. My wife had an 04 mustang which was our "good" vehicle that we took on trips and to get groceries and a 2 door was a pain at times. Tbh, if I had it to do again I would've gotten a '12-14 charger with the 3.6

But as 318willrun said, the 200 with the 3.6 is a fun little car!!

Having owned a Honda I'm leaning that way. I do like the looks of the 200 but I'm weary of that transmission. I could overlook that issue if I knew it would be repaired correctly and not give any repeat performances after the warranty expires.

Having owned a Honda I'm leaning that way. I do like the looks of the 200 but I'm weary of that transmission. I could overlook that issue if I knew it would be repaired correctly and not give any repeat performances after the warranty expires.
We're turning 2017, no need to have junk tranny's getting out the door

We're turning 2017, no need to have junk tranny's getting out the door
If they are built weak they would continue to fail. Right now if I want my project cuda finished before I turn too old to work on it I have to settle on a good used car.

You ain't kidding!! Wish I would've known this a year ago!! They don't hold their value worth ****. We bought a 2016 200C new last January and it's worth probably half what we gave for it. Love the car but should've got a challenger and been better off

Pretty sure I helped push you in the direction of the 200. Sorry.

We have a 2015 200S and have loved it. It hasn't been without problems, but some where our own doing (FYI, don't park a 200 for all of winter, the computers kill the battery). We have had transmission issues, but not a replacement, just a new valve body. Love the 3.6, can't say enough about that. Would have been disappointed with the 200 if we had gotten the 4 cylinder. I like the car enough that I have even toyed with trading it for a different one with more options, but can't see paying the difference.

For what it's worth, the 9 speed is the same one that comes in some Acura's and Honda's (they are all a ZF transmission), and from what I understand, they all suffered some teething issues. So, just saying "buy a Honda" doesn't mean you are getting away from supposed transmission issues.

I too am disappointed in the rapid drop in value. But, since I didn't buy it to trade it in 2 years, it really only becomes an issue if something were to happen to it.

That said, the only real reason I even looked at the value is because I started looking at Challengers really hard and thought about trading it. When I realized that I was thinking about trading in my wife's car so I could get what I want, I dropped that idea. Not a good plan to jerk it out of her hands and leave her driving a broken down Dakota just because I want a Challenger.

Worse yet, part of the reason we didn't even look at Challengers when we bought our 200 was because my wife's parent's health was failing and we figured we needed something they could get into and out of. Since then, my wife's father has passed away, and her Mom moved to Montana to live with my sister-in-law. So, the whole reason we got a 4 door became mute. Wish we had known, maybe we would be driving a Challenger now. Oh well.

If they are built weak they would continue to fail. Right now if I want my project cuda finished before I turn too old to work on it I have to settle on a good used car.

Have you looked at Mazdas? I LOVE my daily driver Mazda6, and haven't had a single problem with it for 3 years. Loved my previous two Mazdas as well (Mazda3 and Mazda5) -- that's why I keep going back to them. Never had a mechanical issue with any of them. Just something to consider.

vm

Can't speak for LS-300, but in my case the lack of a v6 option in the Mazda6 killed it for me. I know they perform adequately, but 184hp didn't excite me in the least.

I honestly shopped every make out there before we bought our 200. There were a couple of things I wanted (sporty, biggest motor available), and things I did not want (NA 4 cylinder, CVT transmission), and I had a price I had to stay under. The v6 Honda's were too expensive, and the 4 cylinder was a CVT (as I recall), the Nissans are all CVT's now, Acura/Lexus/Infinity weren't even on the horizon, and the Mazda's didn't have a v6 (or turbo) option, oh and I couldn't stand the GM offerings that I could afford. That pretty much left the Kia/Hyundai/Ford/Mopar options. I wasn't excited about a DI turbo four (I've heard of issues with carboned intake valves that require pulling the head), but I would have driven a Fusion if we could have gotten someone at the dealership to acknowledge us. Never did find a Kia that fit the bill, and my wife hated the Hyundai (she even mentioned just yesterday how glad she was we didn't buy a Hyundai). That left the 200.

BTW, wasn't too long ago I looked up the value of a similar year Fusion and it didn't seem like it was worth much more than my 200. Just saying.

one of the benefits of driving cars at least 7 years old (or older) is that there is a lot of data supporting the good and the bad.
Bought my '05 Pontiac GP almost 6 years ago with 133,*** miles for 4700 bucks, no rust. It now has 223,*** and counting, still no rust. Not counting typical tires and spark plugs, Only a water pump to get us here (32 bucks and a calm 2 hours start to finish). Never touched the exhaust either. Put a battery in it this winter just to be sure. Never even replaced the serpentine belt :).
Lot's of cars that have a good report, but hard to get that when buying the newest, latest, and greatest.

OK so what I'm hearing is the 200 with a v6 is worth looking at. I have one close to me and it's an AWD car which is a bonus as we live where it snows that I bet I can pick up for around 17k.
I didn't know the transmission used in the 200 was widely used. I'm not apposed to a 4 banger as this will be an around car for the wife. He current Honda is a VTEC and does just fine.
The Hondas are still going to be looked at as they have been good to us in the past.
The Chevys are there just to see if the wife likes them.
Mazda is not high on my list as some of my family have purchased them and they all had rust problems. Good cars but rusty.
Might have to add the Fusion just to see if she like the way it drives

Just looked on my local Craigslist. Dozens of 2015 Chrysler 200's for under $12,000. Several under $11,000.

That is a huge initial loss of value.

If you are dead set on one of these, you would be crazy to buy a new one. The Ford Fusion is nice.

-
Back