Opinion On Hughes Engines

-

jrsbmws

Reaction score
Thinking About Having Hughes Build A Engine. 340 Stroker. Has Anybody Gotten One Are Even Bought There Cams Or There New Iron Heads. Like To Have Info.

got two of their solid lifter cams in use...and one hydraulic cam in use...

have there heads, rockers, and intake, nothing but good things about them, good luck8)

I have there cnc ported eddy heads and my dad has one of there cams and lifters and so will I once I become un-poor if thats even possible.

My stroker was built by them. They reworked my Eddie heads also. I have their hydraulic roller cam. I'm using a Air Gap RPM intake flowmatched the ports on. The engine has awsome torque!

So far no complaints on the engine. Dave gets tough to deal with sometimes and comes off with a bit of attitude if you aren't totally sure of what your asking him about or if your wrong at what you are assuming to be true. Other than that They took good care of me with my build.

I run a set of their Stage 2 ported Edelbrock heads on my 360, and I also have a Victor 340 intake that they port matched. The quality of their machining work is very good. I've also run one of their solid lifter cams in my last motor, but the cam in this build is from Scott Brown. The motor with their heads and intake are in my Scamp which has run a best of 10.60 @ 125, so I have no hesitation recommending Hughes...

For what it's worth........

The 496 RB stroker ate a Hughes hydraulic on break-in in the car. Was told NO warranty - race part, I've never raced the car and it never left my driveway??? Installed a Comp Cam, broke-in on dyno, did several dyno pulls, cam was fine. Decided cam was too small, put in larger Comp Cam, put engine in car, fired it up, and all was well. Hughes has since switched cam suppliers.

The engine does have a set of Hughes 1.6 ratio aluminum rockers with approximately 11,000 street miles on them, no problems to date.

I still refuse to purchase from them to this day.

No problems with parts from Hughes or their technical staff at this time. I have not used their cams though so I can't comment on that.

One weekday morning I had some spare time and called them regarding their cams, and whoever I spoke too really took their time with me and I was quite impressed. I know for a fact that there are members here who had problems in regards to getting some "attitude", but that has not been the case for me.

I did pick up their rocker shaft hold down kit and some RA shims and the quality of the parts was top notch. I bought a few other thiings from them but I can't remember what. CRS disease, lol!

I have three friends that combined have had 5 engines built by them. All of them are very impressive engines but it took some patience to deal with them to get everything right on a few of them. I would have them build something for me if the need arose. I was at their facility too and it was very nice.

Chris and Kevin are great guys to deal with. Very patient and knowledgeable too! They helped me through some confusion on a couple of issues and I was please with their advice and knowhow! I too have been to there shop and was impressed with how Dave has things organized.

So far my engine hasn't failed in any way and I would deal with them again in the future if the need came up. It took me some time to learn how to communicate with Dave on his level and I struggled with that as I felt that I was the customer so give me a break if I'm not as up to date on all of the technical stuff and if I say something stupid or not correct, cut me some slack. Once we got on the same page everything worked out and I learned some things too. I just felt that he could have been more patient with my learning curve, that's all!

Their machine work was very good as mentioned before and the parts that I bought were very good quality.

Thumbs UP! I've seen 416Stroker's engine - it is very nice. Plus I've ordered some parts/oil/etc from them and had nothing but great experiences. Like others have said, I've gone off on different paths while on the phone with them benchracing and they've never rushed me or been impatient.

They are definately building my next motor when that day comes. Or at least doing my heads/intake if I decide to go that route and keep my short block.

You cant beat the experience/knowledge.

Hey Beatnik,

Last I knew your engine was apart. If you have it back together, stop on over. I'd love to see your Dart!

I have a Hughes solid flat tappet cam in my engine, never had a problem. I've dealt with Dave and he was very polite.

I can sometimes understand when someones main focus is such that when questions arise from an unknowing point of view people tend to think that you are arrogant. It's really not the case. Dave is a very knowledgable and highly skilled craftsman. Just because he doesn't have the demeanor to deal with people that may not have the same knowledge as him doesn't make him a bad person. Nor does it mean his work or products aren't top rate. He's just focused.

As 416stroker said once you are on the same page with him all is well.

BTW his cam picked up .4 in my car over the Mopar .590 cam. That is substantial.

I have a set of their Iron Ram magnum heads. I orderd them assembled with 2.02 intake valves. My engine builder said they were quality pieces. They required some cleanup in the ports where the seats didn't perfectly match the runners. He did flowbench them and said they were as good as advertised.

-
Back