Opinion Time: What do you think it ran?

-

Kevin Jonker

Reaction score
Heres the combo that I just ran at Fontana raceway on a 72 degree day. 1968 Form S, F.B. 340 4 speed Fish. 340, 030 over, 11:01 old school trw forged pistons, stock steel crank and rods with arp rod bolts, balanced. T/A heads ported and worked over by Bob Mullens (remember him?). 2:02 intake 160 exh. Hughes 245/250 @ 050 dur. and 560/575 lift cam with 1.5 rockers. Eddy street tunnelram with 2 600 vac. sec. holleys that works wonderfully. 1 5/8 headers into electric dumps a quarter of the way open. Centerforce dual friction clutch, 4:56 suregrip with adj. pinoin snubber (close to the floor) and subframe connectors. G 60-14 Mickey Thompson indy profile SS's that I didn't melt in the box but definitley cleaned off.

The motor came out of a tube chassis challenger that ran roundy at Ontario motor speedway back in the 80's.

Ok so what do you think it ran? I would really like opinions and then I will tell ya all:)
Thanks, Kevin

I will say 11.70s if it hooked and you shifted it like a man...........ya bringing it off at around 5500 or 6000 shifting at 7000 ya maybe 11.50s 11.70s.........Artie

12.50s if it spun and you shift like me. 12.0s if it hooked and you don't...

I'd say 13.50's with those old M/T tires...

The way you went about posting this question leads me to believe you either ran some really awesome #'s like 11.40's-11.80's, OR you ran 'according to the tires mentioned' a really disappointing 12.90-13.30's......either way the mph was high I'd guess, like 108-114

The last 1/4 w/340 $ 4 spd and tires like those didn't get me better than mid/high 13's...nothing but tire spin all the way into 3rd.

Do tell...

You people are awesome! I truly love it here. Well I was kinda disappointed. 1st run was 13.56/104.74/2.27 60ft/ 8th mile 8.90 @83.24, 2nd run 14.20/106.16/2.57 60ft/ 8th mile 9.49 @ 80.58, 3rd run 13.22/107.65/2.08 60 ft/ 8th mile 8.63 @ 83.92, last run 13.49/107.19/2.17 60 ft/ 8th mile 8.86 @ 82.82

The second run the car left then fell on it's face enough to see fuel slosh out of the carb.

The 4th run, I thought I missed 2nd (didn't) and had to regroup.

1st run barley spun the tires in the water box. (just learning) Rest of the runs did better at cleaning the tires. No smoke but I think the were spun enough to be cleaned and warmed.

It felt like it would hook ok? but would then kinda lay down around the tree? I saw other stick cars do the same thing. Someone said that was the 1/2 shift but I will have to watch the video. Or maybe it's spinning at that point when you lay into it after you think your going?

I have raced a husrt sc rambler stick car (ALL STOCK) and had no problem leaving with these tires. thse tires are 7 yrs old. I honestly thought the car would be in the mid 12's at LEAST or show the MPH to be there or better. Will it be possible with this combos starting ET and MPH to get to the low 12's someday? The nice thing is it go's straight and doesn't have any issues at the big end handling wise with an old front end. Thx for listening!!!! Kevin

What was the 1/8th mile ET? My automatic 3.91 fish with less motor bling will run 8.00 with mufflers and worn out MT tires.

You people are awesome! I truly love it here. Well I was kinda disappointed. 1st run was 13.56/104.74/2.27 60ft/ 8th mile 8.90 @83.24, 2nd run 14.20/106.16/2.57 60ft/ 8th mile 9.49 @ 80.58, 3rd run 13.22/107.65/2.08 60 ft/ 8th mile 8.63 @ 83.92, last run 13.49/107.19/2.17 60 ft/ 8th mile 8.86 @ 82.82

The second run the car left then fell on it's face enough to see fuel slosh out of the carb.

The 4th run, I thought I missed 2nd (didn't) and had to regroup.

1st run barley spun the tires in the water box. (just learning) Rest of the runs did better at cleaning the tires. No smoke but I think the were spun enough to be cleaned and warmed.

It felt like it would hook ok? but would then kinda lay down around the tree? I saw other stick cars do the same thing. Someone said that was the 1/2 shift but I will have to watch the video. Or maybe it's spinning at that point when you lay into it after you think your going?

I have raced a husrt sc rambler stick car (ALL STOCK) and had no problem leaving with these tires. thse tires are 7 yrs old. I honestly thought the car would be in the mid 12's at LEAST or show the MPH to be there or better. Will it be possible with this combos starting ET and MPH to get to the low 12's someday? The nice thing is it go's straight and doesn't have any issues at the big end handling wise with an old front end. Thx for listening!!!! Kevin

Don't beat yourself up kevin, fontana has the worst 60ft surface around, slicks only.ime
There were so many boogers on the line last time I went, it was like trying to tap dance on marbles...

Thanks for the fun of geeting ereryone involved, I am sure you will be able to get your setup working well enough to meet your goals I had a similar setup in the early 80's in a F/B cuda ran low 12's was a street car and I had lots of fun with it.

Thx for thr replys, My buddy has a ferd stang with a 302/auto. He has it setup pretty good and just leaves me after launch. he runs consistant 13.50's at 97 and change, 60ft 1.8 avg. I just catch him at the big end. Automatics do leave nice... But I like sticks.

I guess you know you need tires.
Then, you'll find the first weak link, and the second one, etc.
How many weak links you find will depend on how hard you run it.
Stick shifts can find lots of weak links. :thumblef:

It's missing a good .5-.6 in the 60's alone with some of those MPH numbers

Low 12's 12.20-12.30 and 1.7 or better 60's would be about right.

The tires are toast if 7 years old. All the oil are likely cooked out of them. Work on the suspension, front and rear to get it to come around.

It was a good day if you ran, it didn't break and you got home safer. :thumblef:

If you don't have aftermarket axles, now's your chance! Axles are one of those weak links that traction will find.
I broke an axle on a car I drove to the track.
Two things to consider:
-I was lucky, the axle broke on the launch, I didn't get hurt, or hurt anyone else.
-I didn't do any damage to the car that could have occured if the axle broke a ways down track, and didn't damage anyone else's stuff.
The $300 towing bill didn't do anything to make the situation any better! (I could have bought new axles with that money!)

A word on starting line and manuals... Get line lock and learn to use it. If the tires are not smoking, and I mean smoking, not hazed stuff but white smoke, they are not hot enough. Get a modern tire package and practice. Make sure teh shifter is adjusted properly and the gnine is held down with more than a factory mount on the left side. I always liked a chain and turnbuckle 'cause it looks angry and cool and is cheap. My buddy had a Cuda that would run 109mph... but with him driving, no line lock, and street radials it would only run 13.90s at best, and normally low 14s. But always around 109...lol. Correctly launching and shifting a 4sp is not easy and the best way to get good is get everything solid enough to be consistnet, then practice practice practice.

-
Back