Opinions: Cam Swap or not

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
First off I have never run this engine before and have never had a car with this much power before. I think it is currently more geared towards racing but it could be a streetable car with everything I have setup right now to avoid detonation issues. I've heard this cam is a slug until 3000 rpm.

The cam that's in the 340 right now is a Comp 292. I'm sure some of you are familiar with this cam. Here are the specs of the cam:
duration 244
lift .501
10.1 c/r unsure if zero decked. maybe 9.5 if not decked
650 demon carb + four hole spacer
rpm performer intake
3.91 gears 5-speed
91 octane
timing 34, all in pretty quick

I'm hoping I do well with this combination for a street car, but have been tossing the idea of changing the cam to something a little more modern/updated. This would be the time to do it since the engine is still out of the car. I have never done a cam swap before but I think I would be able to reuse everything (lifters, springs, rods, etc) Was thinking of the Comp xe274 or something like it to keep me in the 400hp range.

I'm wondering if I should just run with what I've got for now. This way I could tell the difference in any changes I would make in the future. I'm kinda leaning towards this, but don't look forward to tearing the engine down in the future. If the gains are substaintial in getting a diff cam that is radical but not too radical for street then I'll go for it.

What do you guys think? Thanks.:burnout:

Hope I read your post right.

No experience with the cam itself, but wanted to make sure you knew that you need to get new lifters with the new cam if you go that route.

I'd also have the springs checked for the correct height and pressure. Myself, if I get a cam I buy lifters and matching springs at the same time. Then have the springs correctly set on the head so all is okay.

If you do swap, take the old lifters out and keep them in order of where they came out to the cam. That way, if you wish to reinstall you can match the lifter to the lobe is has seated too.

Best of luck!

Cheers

You can not reuse the lifters from one Hyd. or Mech. cam to another and I would suggest getting new springs for the new cam. Have a shop do the work on the heads/springs.

Use the split duration cam. The Comp 292 is a good mid/entry level race cam. The split duration is more street freindly covering a wider RPM range. A slight drop in duration will add desired torque with minor at best hp drop.

I would run it first and see if its to much cam for you. No sense of throwing money at it till you try.

I have a similar size cam (actually, yours is longer in duration @ .050.). MIne is in a weekend car. It's LOUD and violent. I like it. But I don't drive it everyday. I guess what I'm saying is, if it's not a daily driver, keep the cam you got.

Remember old rule of thumb when selecting cams "when in doubt always chose the milder one". The 292 cam is getting up there for street running. You will certainly feel the engine "come up on the cam". The XE274 is a pretty healthy cam in it's own right, and about as hot as I would put in a daily driver.

If the lifters have never been run (it is an new engine right?) they should be OK. If the engine has run, don't risk re-using them. And check with Comp to see if your current springs are compatible.

I know you are trying to keep busy waiting for your body to be done (we're all waiting too!) but I would try the 292 cam and swap some rainy day this winter if you don't like it. With the manual trans and steep gears, it might be kinda fun.

Good ones. Thanks. It will be a weekend cruiser/bruiser. I've tried to get everything dialed in for this cam which seems backwards, but I didn't build the engine myself. The cam was broken in and that's it. So, I see the point in not throwing money away just yet.

should be a good cam with a manual as you can downshift and not lug the motor

I think it ok. At least try it. Frst, it's in tehre, and broken in. Second you have a deep first gear, and third, the Comp 292 is not anything like the MP 292. I think you'll be happy with it. I certainly wouldnt change for the sake of changing.

I had the same cam in a 340 cuda yrs. ago . Sounded good lots of lope ,ran good with 3000 stall, holley strip dom. int. and 3.91 or 4.88 gears{would switch} .Drove it all the time .

-
Back