Opinions of this Demon?

-

pabster

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm a new member here- just starting to look around at expanding my Mopar stable of one. Saw this Demon on eBay and I thought I'd put it out there... what are your thoughts on this car? Yes, the front seats have got to go, but the rest of it? Don't think I'm ready to buy yet, but this is a good way to start figuring out whats out there and what the deal is.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1971...1?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item2a2e2876d7#v4-37

I'm a complete noob when it comes to A Bodies, don't know price ranges, just figuring out what I really want to look for. Focusing on '71-'72 Darts and Demons at this point, a manual tranny is a must.

Appreciate any tips and tricks of what to watch out for as far as these cars, what to avoid, what to focus on. Your expertise, opinions, etc. are very welcome. Thanks!

That car seems decent. The paint shows some orange peel but I have certainly seen worse. As time marches on, the same old standard still applies: You save more money by buying a complete car rather than a shell. This car is priced fairly if you want a reliable low performance driver, but slanty cars most always means that EVERYTHING under the car gets replaced. Engine, exhaust,trans, K member, drive shaft, axle, T bars, leaf springs,.....THAT adds up in no time!

Regarding what to look out for, Many a body cars have rusty trunk floors in the spare tire well. The trunk weatherstrips must have been supplied by the lowest bidder, because I rarely see one still intact. I have repaired several trunk/spare tire wells because of this.

Trunk and engine bay were not painted correctly. The dash is half assed painted. I would have to wonder what else was half assed. My bet is that in person that there are a ton of flaws under that paint.

Hm...

I'd be wary and check it throughly, my reasoning is the paint. So much orange peel. It looks like this guy paid $2000 for it, threw a $400 buck paint job on it and is trying to flip it. Also the underside and engine is dirty. Can't tell if the block he's including REALLY has that work done, and it looks mostly stock. Run a magnet on the sheet metal to make absolutely sure there's no bondo/fiberglass quick fixes. Not a bad price, but the dude is definitely trying to flip it for money. Ask lots of questions.

Looks like a car built to be a presentable driver on a budget.

I think that car might be Stu Harmon from San Fransisco's car he put together for his daughter to drive. He goes under MidPenMopar on most web boards. If so, it was a budget project for his daughter. Economical paint job for a car that's just driven daily in a big city. He might tell you what he sold it for. Thats IF it's the same car.

Like it has been said, some of the work looks half-assed. He's being nice and throwing in a 440 and 4 speed for $3,200 more?!
My opinion, $3500 TOPS. If it has big time bondo, less.
(no pics of the trunk metal either)

Thanks for the opinions, guys. Auction ended, and it didn't sell. Probably because he declined offers up to $4900.

-
Back