Opinions on cam selection

-

mbaird

mbaird
Reaction score
I am looking for some feedback on a cam .

This is for a 5.9 build.
Stock bottom end
9.2 compression
IMM EQ heads w/ 260 cfm at .500 intake flow
Eddie Air Gap ( carb TBD)
Dougs headers
3400# 68 Cuda
3.23 or 3.55 gears
2500 stahl converter
Power brakes and steering

Looking for strong street driver with decent manners..

Cam is as follows
.510 lift with 1.6s
224/230 @ .050
276/280 advertised
110 LSA

What did I forget ?
Thanks for input

uh what heads and valve sizes did you cc your heads how did you come up with 9.2 do you know the brand and part number of the pistons?
these are Tri Y's?
Chevy cam
how does it breath at .200
224 you should have about 540 lift with 1.6 rockers what's holding you back springs?
or
.520 lift with 266 and 221@.050 and 138 @200 (comp cams) 265 on the seat is better than 276 with 9.5 compression
cheers

2.02/1.60 valves
Stock piston to valve clearance
and stock rocker limits are the holdback.
I want a grind that will take advantage of most of the head flow but still be fairly mild.

stock style long slot rockers OK you rreally only need them on the intakes but OK
did you buy teh comp 268 yet
if not I'll throw out the Hughes SEH 1620BL-12 as a strawman or SEH1016BL these may be BBM numbers
voodoo 60302 old number
Engle K54HYD
voodoo 10230701
howard in the HM2163318A range
If you have head flows and really want to nail it
Street Performance | Jones Cams may give you the target timing you are best optimized for even if he does not have a grind b sure to mention the rockers

I am sure those cams would work fine If I had a Bigblock and it wasnt a roller motor ....

This is a 5.9 magnum hydraulic roller motor.

Me too
I'd get one of Jones inverse radius flank hyd rollers nothing else comes close

I think it will work pretty nice for your intended use. Ramps are not extremely fast but decently so. TC will not be too high, fuel economy will be fair, and it will have a good burble. I personally like a slightly wide LSA (better economy and vacuum) but this is not bad. Vacuum may be a tad low unless you tune it well (I'd expect no better than 11-13 in); a 112 LSA would help that aspect.

I'd probably go step down or so in duration to improve low RPM torque more. Even with that smaller cam, your good breathing heads, intake and headers will still extend the upper RPM range quite well even with less duration. I tend to prefer that approach: lots of breathing and a smaller cam and bam-o: wider usable torque band. But I think you are on the right track.

Actually I can get it on a 112... the 110 might have been a stretch to grind off the blank.

I have the stock FI on my magnum-
EHR68340
264° 006
218° 050
139° 200
.340″ lobe
.510″ 1.5
.544″ 1.6
.578″ 1.7
or if .544 is too much
HR65313
260°
210°
132°
.313″
.469″
.500″
.532″
HR66310
264°
212°
128°
.310″
.465″
.496″
.527″
you can go longer on your seat timing but the shorter gives you more bottom end and the .200 gives you the power I see up to 280 with around half inch lift with 1.6 rockers
just depends on where you want your rpm range to be

Go with the grind that gives you better bottom end and more vacuum.

The cam you have will work really well for the needs you described. You could buy something that has more lift, keeping duration static.

I wouldn't spend more money on a cam to replace it that may or may not be better. It will run really solid with the current camshaft.

I don't think he has a cam yet
And I apologize for not realizing that a 5.9 is always a magnum and a 360 is always a LA
agree with TF60
here is the mechanical advantage
an inverse radius profile can have about 8 degrees less seat timing for the same upper end area under the curve
so a 260 can equal a 268
or you can go 265 and have more area and still get the intake closed earlier for the bottom end
or if your compression is high you can go the same 268 and have a much bigger air breather
question is how did you determine the 9.2- heads most likely cced as you have the flows was there another thread on this build?
you almost have to have custom pistons to get 9.2 in a 5.9 or deck the block or???
I'm getting ready to do mine so very interested in your build

My intentions are to end up with a really stout daily driver but not squander all of the head potential.
Maybe switch to 112 lsa and keep all else the same.

Like many already know I also have a 408 ported w2 solid roller 4sp Swinger in the works for a Wildside ride.

OP, just curious: Are you going to being running this thing across the flats of the Snake River area in the Boise/Nampa/Caldwell area? That might call for better HP (if you can find a clear spot to really wind it out).... larger on the cam.

Or roaring up the canyons up to Lowman or Stanley? That would call for more torque for cornering....smaller on the cam. FWIW...

I would if I had the time..lol
I would love to take a road trip up thru Stanley and onto Challis to visit a certain machinist that lives up there.

Sounds like you are familiar with our state.

OP, just curious: Are you going to being running this thing across the flats of the Snake River area in the Boise/Nampa/Caldwell area? That might call for better HP (if you can find a clear spot to really wind it out).... larger on the cam.

Or roaring up the canyons up to Lowman or Stanley? That would call for more torque for cornering....smaller on the cam. FWIW...

My brother lives in Twin Falls and his kids go to school in Boisie
always glad to go through there
Let Jones pick your cam- he is the best
sorry about the hft mixup
how did you come up with 9.2 I'd like to copy

Pretty much just a basic 5.9 build focusing on good breathing heads and a well matched cam. Nothing fancy...
I think this motor will have more power and driveabilty than the LA flat hydraulic it is replacing.

I went with the 112 LSA... should be here in a few weeks

I don't think he has a cam yet
And I apologize for not realizing that a 5.9 is always a magnum and a 360 is always a LA
agree with TF60
here is the mechanical advantage
an inverse radius profile can have about 8 degrees less seat timing for the same upper end area under the curve
so a 260 can equal a 268
or you can go 265 and have more area and still get the intake closed earlier for the bottom end
or if your compression is high you can go the same 268 and have a much bigger air breather
question is how did you determine the 9.2- heads most likely cced as you have the flows was there another thread on this build?
you almost have to have custom pistons to get 9.2 in a 5.9 or deck the block or???
I'm getting ready to do mine so very interested in your build

I've tested several IR rollers and not found this to be true.

On yellow bullet Mike Jones' brother (whose first name I can't recall) is talking about using less IR and making the same or more power.

Edit: Rick Jones at Controlled Induction is who is taking out IR and getting better results.

Sounds like you are familiar with our state.
Yes.... been over most of it a couple of times except for up in the panhandle. With the relative scarcity of roads (compared to back east) it is not hard to cover much of the known territory. Been working on retiring to Stanley for at least a few years.... I've almost got my wife to let me go for it. I just gotta keep lotsa firewood handy! Yes, I have heard of and visited a certain machinist in Challis....

Last edited:
Rick did the cam grinding when they were is Chino and Los Alimitos CA
Both really good knowledgeable guys
It's all about the combination
maybe a short duration vs big duration difference
Engle just used IR on the opening flank
Crower INrad series IDK if they ever got it to work- many have not
Mike seems to have
Rick was in Vegas last time I heard
Controlled Induction- good- great software

Rick did the cam grinding when they were is Chino and Los Alimitos CA
Both really good knowledgeable guys
It's all about the combination
maybe a short duration vs big duration difference
Engle just used IR on the opening flank
Crower INrad series IDK if they ever got it to work- many have not
Mike seems to have
Rick was in Vegas last time I heard
Controlled Induction- good- great software

The first IR lobes I used were a Crane grind. Probably 1988. Maybe 1989. 377 Chevy that needed to make power to 8000. It was what Crane wanted. I couldn't make the springs live for more than 4 pulls on the dyno.

I know Mike uses a very small wheel to grind his lobes when using IR. Rick was just saying he is using a slightly bigger wheel and less IR. It's on yellow bullet in the Uratcho section. Pretty interesting stuff.

thanks I'll check it out
I know Bruce Crower played with them in the 80's also
I suspect Engles may have been designed by one of the Jones maybe Dick they were tight
I think Detroit funded most of the current Jones R&D and there was much-
The Indy projects were amazing.
Dick ran our 210 Rambler on the Champion Dyno- could do 1,000 horsepower like forever couple of 1,200 hp pulls oops going offtopic but that cam was a genuine Ed Winfield #2 Offy timing -getting back on topic Rick and Mike had the masters at one time several moves ago

-
Back