Opinions on colors.

-

cascius

Reaction score
So I'm going back and forth here and am undecided on what to do. I'm working on a '70 Dart, originally white with blue interior but I'm thinking of a color change. For the exterior I had planned on painting it B5 blue with a black vinyl top and black tail stripe.

Now here's where I'm having a little trouble. The soft parts of the interior are extremely nice for being original so I plan on leaving the blue interior in it. The seats are the original two toned light and dark blue while all the metal trim and dash are Baltic Blue Poly which is about the equivalant of B7 blue. I can't decide whether to go back with the darker blue interior color on the hard parts or do I paint them B5 blue as well? I don't care about original, just trying to decide what will look best.

How about a modern day B5, blue top (or not,I lthink a nicely finished roof always looks sleek) and a darker blue tail stripe? I personally think that the colored interiors have WAY more personality to them. Depends on the look that you trying to achieve, resto, modern, or a nice blend of both. Have you thought of black with a blue tail stripe.....kinda like the MOPAR editions that have come out in recent years. Food for thought! Just keep us posted with plenty of pictures.

How about a modern day B5, blue top (or not,I lthink a nicely finished roof always looks sleek) and a darker blue tail stripe? I personally think that the colored interiors have WAY more personality to them. Depends on the look that you trying to achieve, resto, modern, or a nice blend of both. Have you thought of black with a blue tail stripe.....kinda like the MOPAR editions that have come out in recent years. Food for thought! Just keep us posted with plenty of pictures.

I'm not necessarily set on anything. I'm a long ways from it but trying to get everything planned out. The car is stripped right now and working on getting the body work started. I think I've lightened the car by about 50 pounds by grinding all the mud out of it. Some of the stuff hidden under old paint was horrible.

I have always heard black cars with blue interiors were pretty cool looking. A bright blue tail stripe would look killer on a black car. I might have to use that.

I had a friend (RIP) who owned a black 67 Corvette coupe with a blue interior and a blue stinger hood stripe, and the colors were STUNNING. I plan to (someday) build a 55 Chevy street gasser in those colors with blue tinted windows. :D

I say get the body and exterior paint done, then see what it looks like with the current interior colors. Make a decision from there.

Good Luck!

George

IMHO...........I don't think I have ever seen a white 70 or 71. It is awesomely unique! If it were me I would stay with the white with the blue seats. Good luck!

I had a friend (RIP) who owned a black 67 Corvette coupe with a blue interior and a blue stinger hood stripe, and the colors were STUNNING. I plan to (someday) build a 55 Chevy street gasser in those colors with blue tinted windows. :D

I say get the body and exterior paint done, then see what it looks like with the current interior colors. Make a decision from there.

Good Luck!

George

I can get you the blue tint ! Want to do the Dart in red tint ?

Here's my take on it... I needed to replace the hood on my 96 Camry. This car is a dark green mettalic. Walking the parts yard opened my eyes. All of the colors looked like crap ( just like my green ). All of the white still looked fine. The white hood I brought home only needed washing.
Or just go to a new car dealer and look at the orange peel in their fancy color paints.
Basic fleet car white still goes on slick and could last 20 years.
If I ever do build my 67 vert it will definately be white. I wish it and my Camry were white from the start.

White doesn't show flaws in body work like dark colors do black being the worst.

Actually a lot of white cars are still single stage paint, not base clear. Especially Hondas. I dread getting white Hondas at the shop, They are always dry and faded and need a ton of buffing. Darker colors require more care because even washing them puts minor scratches in the clear making them look dull. Red, Yellow and Orange are good because the scratching isnt as noticeable and when you buff them out they are so bright its hard to notice imperfections. Silver and Golds are great for hiding imperfection also which is why most rental cars are silver or gold.

You won't regret the B5. Trust me lol.

I changed half of my interior over to black (carpet, headliner, plastic trim, dash) but the door panels and seats are still the B5-B7 blue from the factory. The black/blue theme is carried over the entire car though, so I think it kind of works.

I can get you the blue tint ! Want to do the Dart in red tint ?
Thanks Adam.
I'm actually thinking of adding a blue tint to my old Dodge Ram truck. I need a tint that is NOT dark (light blocking) as I want to be able to see into the truck from outside.
Ever see the bluish looking tint on a new Mercedes? Thats what I want for the truck.

No, no red tint on the Dart! LOL

George

Sweet convertible...I like white more and more the older I get, I never liked white when I was younger.

In the 80s a friend of mines brother had a white 70 Swinger with a blue interior.

Paul

attachment.php

So I'm going back and forth here and am undecided on what to do. I'm working on a '70 Dart, originally white with blue interior but I'm thinking of a color change. For the exterior I had planned on painting it B5 blue with a black vinyl top and black tail stripe.

Now here's where I'm having a little trouble. The soft parts of the interior are extremely nice for being original so I plan on leaving the blue interior in it. The seats are the original two toned light and dark blue while all the metal trim and dash are Baltic Blue Poly which is about the equivalant of B7 blue. I can't decide whether to go back with the darker blue interior color on the hard parts or do I paint them B5 blue as well? I don't care about original, just trying to decide what will look best.

My first car was a '72 Duster ....Spinnaker (sp?) white and B5 interior. Loved that color combo. Lots of complements from people also.
I say stay white exterior and convert fully the interior to B5....try it you'll like it! Good luck what ever you decide!

Personally, my favorite Mopar color is B7.... So I'd have to say B7. But, I thought Baltic Blue Poly was B5? B7 is supposed to be Jamaica Blue Poly...

- CK

Thanks Adam.
I'm actually thinking of adding a blue tint to my old Dodge Ram truck. I need a tint that is NOT dark (light blocking) as I want to be able to see into the truck from outside.
Ever see the bluish looking tint on a new Mercedes? Thats what I want for the truck.

No, no red tint on the Dart! LOL

George

The tint doesnt need to be dark to block the heat actually. It just needs to be a high quality film. I dont have anything blue but I do have a nice carbon based film in 50% 35% 20% and 5%. 5% is the darkest. 35% is the legal limit in CT and 50% is real light.

Heres a link to a white & blue 1970 Swinger 340 for sale. Its different and looks good in my opinion.

http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/3668297901.html

That's pretty much what mine looked like. I took off the side molding as they were trashed and have a set of scoops for it. Minus the ralley dash my interior looks identical. After seeing that I may have to reconsider the white. Doesn't look too bad.

My Duster has a B7 blue interior. I had it painted blue about 10 years ago and then painted it back to white a couple years ago. The white looks much much better and the contrast looks great too.

Keep the blue interior...stand out from the crowd.

Look at all the new cars...seems like their interiors are black, grey or tan...boring.

If they made red interior pieces for a 72 Duster I would swap out my black interior.

Paul

-
Back