Opinions on Electric Cutouts for small block

-

johnmucci

moparmucci
Reaction score
Ok, Performance Only in Delray Beach Fl. is building my new 360 Magnum Engine for my 66 Dart. I am putting on TTI Headers and was wondering what you good people thought about Electric Cutouts? and what manufacturer?. I personally like the idea of just flipping a switch and being uncapped! Feedback please? Thanks, John

Me personally prefer a good sounding muffled engine to the cut outs. Seems all the guys running cutouts, The engines all sound like ****. Money could be better spent IMO.

Got them on my 5.7 hemi in my Duster and I find it hard to them them closed anyone I drive by and i see later always tells me it Sounds sweet,I wouldn't know I'm driving!!! I was informed to spend the money on the GOOD ones and that's what I did,Also went with the stainless y pipes for them,If I had to do it again I would go with the pypes exhaust system with the x over and built in cut-outs but that's just me.I went with race ready performance because they are warranted for life.-Steve

Bolt them straight to the headers and don't cheap out these. Just make a little piece that attachs to the cutout and angle down and towards the side of the car. The idea for these is to create an open header effect so do not install them further down the exhaust system.

thanks for the replies, anyone else want to chime in? I am looking for specific name brands, part numbers etc thanks, john

Bolt them straight to the headers and don't cheap out these. Just make a little piece that attachs to the cutout and angle down and towards the side of the car. The idea for these is to create an open header effect so do not install them further down the exhaust system.

exatly... open headers work great! but not when you add 5 feet of pipe to them... so why would you put the cutouts so far? it makes them usless...

besides... are you gonna re-jet everytime you want to open them?

kinda point less...

This might be a mute point, but I'll trow in my two cents. I used manual cut outs years ago on my magnum powered barracuda. I liked it then. But then I switched to EFI. They were too close to the O2 sensor and screwed the readings up big time. Car ran like crap with em open...:eek:ops:

ok i understand what your saying about putting the cutouts close to the headers but I still don't know what set up to get...help me out on this as I am not versed at all on this subject. thanks John

I put www.badlanzhpe.com/ on my Demon don't remember
why I chose the badlanz but I love them.I love to open them up
Especially when some punk pulls up beside me with his so called
music pounding away I open the cutouts and give them the finger
Not a performance thing just for fun and lots of it

Race Ready Performance---From Jegs-- The switch is nice on these you can tell when they are fully closed--The switch blinks,At least on mine they do,Lifetime warranty and they are slotted so you can adjust them under the vehicle and tight to the floor pan,My Duster sits kind of low so this came in Handy--Steve

I put www.badlanzhpe.com/ on my Demon don't remember
why I chose the badlanz but I love them.I love to open them up
Especially when some punk pulls up beside me with his so called
music pounding away I open the cutouts and give them the finger
Not a performance thing just for fun and lots of it
I have bad lanz also they have a 5 year warrantee, thats why i picked them.

Attachments

• BADLANS.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 387
I ran a set of DMH electric cut outs for about two years.

http://www.dmhperformance.com/contactus.htm

Eventually the butterfly shaft started to rattle, the bush in the butterfly frame had become worn and the shaft rattled when the butterflies were closed.

Several emails to the company requesting assistance and asking of they could supply a spare bush - No reply.

Don't go near them .....really cruddy after sales service.

Yeah it be fun but expensive to do it right. Sooner or later the valves will leak, if the company is out of business come 2015 your out of luck so try to guess which companies still be in business when yours wears out.

I would guess its best to close the valves with the engine off--at least foot off the gas. .the farther downstream the cooler the exhaust gases will be, heat wears stuff out quicker.

They also still make the old school type that just has a cap bolted on. When you go to the strip just unbolt the caps, they are waaaaay cheaper.

I've got DOUGS electric cutouts. They are close to the headers but it does not sound like it did when the headers were really open.

I think it sounds good and so does everyone else

They are a knife blade design and do not leak at all when closed. Bought 2 1/2" since that was the size of the rest of the exhaust. If I were to buy again would go with 3" until past the cutouts or maybe even the X pipe

I didn't really want to spend the money on them but my wife said "I like it how Rogers cars sounds coming into the car shows" so she got what she wanted. Except he has to get out and unbolt the caps on the cutouts, I flip a switch under the dash and within seconds they are OPEN

They are OPEN a lot. For a race car maybe not the best as noted from others on carb adjustments. For fun car to pull in car shows or cruise in's spots, just a COOL FACTOR

-
Back