Opinions please

-

1969GTS

Reaction score
I'm towing my Dart off to the body shop on the 7th and need an answer for my body man. With my exhaust system a stereo my not be an option anyway but I'm wondering if I should leave the antenna or weld up the hole on top of the fender before paint. I like the cleaner look without the whip antenna but may want a stereo eventually despite the rumble of the big cam and dynomax exhaust system. I also don't want to devalue the car. I have the factory Am radio in the dash for the stock look but its not hooked up. Opinions, keep it or loose it?

Thanks

IMG_0986.jpg

Not sure about the 69s, but the 72s had a black plastic plug over the antenna fender hole on non-radio cars. That & a cover plate for a radio would present a "factory radio delete" look.

I'm not going as aggressive you are on the exhaust on the Demon, but I didn't want a whip antenna either. I went to a power antenna that retracts nearly flush with the top of the fender.

If you're concerned about devaluing the car, don't do anything that can't be reversed by hand tools and a handful of parts.

I'm probably going to put a powered one just like 72 Demon said, and if I ever want to go original then just put the original antenna back, which I don't even have lol I have just a hole. So yep my opinion is shop for a nice powered one.

I say delete the antenna. It is a MUCH cleaner look and you really don't need it. I have done some research and you can find antennas that are compact and sit under your dash. There is no reason to have it except it is stock. Take a look at a '70 Pontiac trans am, it's in the windshield and it helps clean up the car considerably. Most new cars don't have one and like I said before there is NO reason for it. I deleted it on the scamp the dart and the aspen. If you can't tell antennas are one of my biggest pet peeves. Sorry I don't have a pic of the scamp on this computer. When I repaint my '68 Newport it will be the same color and the only difference is without an antenna. My '70 challenger won't have one either.

DCP_4063.jpg

DCP_4329.jpg

I'm probably going to put a powered one just like 72 Demon said, and if I ever want to go original then just put the original antenna back, which I don't even have lol I have just a hole. So yep my opinion is shop for a nice powered one.

May be the best compromise.

Thanks

I eliminated the radio opening in my dash and antenna hole on my car. It's not that I don't like music (I'm also a musician...) it's just that I have stereo already: left tail pipe and the right. 8)

Besides, if you decide to add a radio later, go with satellite since commercial radio sucks. The satellite antenna mounts on the roof or trunk lid....:-D

BTW: Good luck with your bodyshop experience. It took me 2 shops to get my car done within 7 months

I eliminated the radio opening in my dash and antenna hole on my car. It's not that I don't like music (I'm also a musician...) it's just that I have stereo already: left tail pipe and the right. 8)

Besides, if you decide to add a radio later, go with satellite since commercial radio sucks. The satellite antenna mounts on the roof or trunk lid....:-D

BTW: Good luck with your bodyshop experience. It took me 2 shops to get my car done within 7 months

I have had body work done by this fellow before. He's been at it for decades and is semi retired, I think. He's on the slow side but teaches at the provincial trade school BCIT. He's slow but I don't need the car back until spring. My only complaint the last car he did for me was a few tiny bits of dirt due to the old booth. We are going Glasurit base clear, wet sanding and polishing after so that so that shouldn't be a problem at all. His work is great and the last on he did looked weird it was so straight. I'm towing the car six hours and taking a ferry to Vancouver Island I trust this guy so much. I'm lucky to have found him. I agree with the satellite idea.

Thanks

I took mine out but left the antenna cable routed in the dash and when in the city I still receive good radio reception (newer digital tuner deck) but on the highway outside the city, not so much. For this reason when I installed a new deck I opted to get the USB connector so I can plug in my IPOD

I think Secret Audio has a hide-away antenna. I'm not too sure about the reception but it's an option.

I think all cars look better without an antenna. (But for some reason I always add a passenger side mirror for "symmetry")

I have the autoloc antana in my Valiant, works good. weld that hole up and be happy.
I have single 3 inch exhaust, mono stereo. LOL

After reading your opinions I'm going to weld it up. Its not that huge to go back if some one really wants to in the future. Its a cleaner look.

Thanks

buy a sirius sat sys an you dont need an ant . the ant is a magnet an listen to comical free radio . what ever your listening pleasure might be . i drive over the road . best thing i ever put in my truck

-
Back