optima battery

-

tekslk

Reaction score
I was looking at a optima blue battery for my car hauler to run the winch. Advance auto has one that didnt sell for 59 dollars. The charge was low they tried to charge it and it would not come up. My friend has a special charger he says will drain it and recharge it like new. Is there such a thing and do optimas take a special charger. Or do you recommend another battery for my trailer winch?

Yes. Buy it. Optima now markets their own chargers for agm type batteries. Dan

Optima's aren't like regular batteries they need to be trickle charged, i'm thinking they tried to use a regular battery charger that's why it wouldn't come up.

Im heading down to buy it will a regular 2amp trickle charge work leaving it on for the weekend? They did try that, that why im gonna gamble.

I found this out the hard way lol went through three of them until someone told me they had to be trickle charged like a motor cycle battery

Advance auto gave it to me, told me to try to get the life back in it over the weekend, if I can they said either bring it back or settle up monday, wow I cant beat that dealnothing lost, just time.

I guess I spent enough money there they somewhat trust me. Now I guy at the local A&A hopefully gets the battery back to life.

Good luck with it! I'm a parts counter guy and to me they aren't worth the money, i have seen more than one of them come back in less than a year that were junk and wouldn't take a charge anymore.

there junk imo ive had 3 the old ones are decent the newer ones only last if used daily/weekly theres a reason why they only come w/2 year warranty

I wouldn't touch this with a 40 ft pole. Any battery that sits low on charge for any length of time is SULFATED. This means it's life, and it's output amperage are diminished.

I, too, am in the "why should I buy" an Optima camp.

Found this on the Optima web site How do I charge a deeply discharged battery?

charging_illustration.gif
If an OPTIMA battery is deeply discharged (below 10.5 volts), most basic chargers will not supply a charge. Also keep in mind that an OPTIMA battery will not recharge properly if treated as a regular flooded or gel battery. To charge the battery, you can wire a second fully charged automotive battery (12+volts) to the discharged AGM in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to the deeply discharged battery, setting the charger at 10 amps. Leave for two hours, monitoring frequently. During this process, if the discharged battery gets very hot or if it is venting (hissing sound from vents), then stop this process immediately. When the discharged battery reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the standard battery and continue charging the AGM until fully charged.

For normal charging, a relatively low current, such as one or two amps, can work well, but when the battery has been deeply discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at 10 amps, the higher current will help to break up this sulfation.

If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manual charger, you can get a rough estimate of the charging time in hours of a completely discharged battery (11.2 volts) by multiplying the capacity (amp hours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2. If your battery is not completely discharged, the time would be less.

In most cases these steps will recover an AGM battery. It’s OK for the AGM battery to get slightly warm during the charging process. If it’s hot to the touch, it means there’s a short and the process should be discontinued.

Im finding the returns on optimas battery are basically there not charged right. When I go in at 11 today and this battery took the charge and passes load test not only will I buy the battery for 59 dollars, but with the money I saved I will buy a AGM charger, Im now convinced todays high tech batterys need high teck chargers to work correct. thanks everyone for the ideas.

-
Back