Ordering 904 rebuild parts

-

camd64

Remember Landy
Reaction score
Give me an engine and I know every piece to get for a rebuild, but transmissions.........? I decided that after having this trans. sitting on my garage floor for quite some time I would finally tear it open and try to rebuild it. My question is after tearing it apart what should I order? I know the rear clutches where all fried and the steels are blue, and beat up. When I tried to drive it last I had no reverse and it was lugging the motor down. Oh and also instead of a spring for the accumulator piston someone had just stuck what looks like a bushing in its place. I have been looking on bulkpart.com but just don't know what kit and options I should really be looking into.

I just had my 904 tranny redone to be bullitproof behind a 408 s.b.I got some good advise from Chris Andrews(duster346)he owns a tranny shop and gave me a list of parts and things to do to the tranny to keep it together.Fishy68 also knows his way around a 904,could maybe help you out?Try PMing either one for some good advise with your 904 build.Good Luck.:cheers:

Yeah I don't want to end up missing something I really should have replaced. Kinda like if someone put new valves in a head with really worn guides.

I have also not yet ventured into rebuilding a tranny but it has been something I have wanted to try for awhile.

I have a 904 I am putting in my duster but i may freshen it up down the road with a rebuild

I have also not yet ventured into rebuilding a tranny but it has been something I have wanted to try for awhile.

I have a 904 I am putting in my duster but i may freshen it up down the road with a rebuild

Yeah I was lucky enough to get another 904 for free from another member (hkeller) when mine took a dump so I figure why not try my hand at it. The trans. was the only thing I had rebuilt by "professionals" and not by myself. look what that got me........

904 is a pretty easy trans to rebuild...

snap ring pliers, spring compressor for clutch pac, and bushing drivers...

-
Back