Ordering heads need opinion? Please!!!!

-

mopar420

Reaction score
Im ordering head this coming up week end and i was wondering what yall think is better for my 408! Im lookning at the mopar aluminum 63 cc heads and the eddys? Which do yall think will be better?

Im ordering head this coming up week end and i was wondering what yall think is better for my 408! Im lookning at the mopar aluminum 63 cc heads and the eddys? Which do yall think will be better?
get the eddy heads if you just want to bolt them on.the mopar heads need the chambers opened up to make any real power :read2:

Actually, what exact MoPar heads are you looking at. MoPar has a set of aluminum heads that are basicly Edelbrock heads with a Mopar omega M on the side. Then they have the Comando and big port comando heads.

Between the ones I have mentioned, for a 408 engine, I myself would look at the Big Port Comando heads. While they will require more work and cost, it is a far superior head and capable for 408 cubes where the Edelbrock should be ported for a 408. It is a small head for a 408 engine.

Edelbrock..been running them for 3 years on a 416 and a 360 with excellent results...

I await your day when you have them ported stroked. I know your wanting to from a previous post and can't wait to see time slip results.
Your making E-Town right?

get the eddy heads if you just want to bolt them on.the mopar heads need the chambers opened up to make any real power :read2:

Any heads you purchase (especially if they are touted as "ready to run out of the box") should be disassembled and checked. Example: The majority of Eddies seem to have very tight valve guide tolerances which are known to cause very bad things to happen if not honed.

I've read this over and over but have yet to meet someone running there heads to have a problem with them.

well the mopar heads im looking at are the exact same spec as the eddys to the best of my knowledge all it says it the mopar performance La aluminum clinder heads they have to 202 160 valves intake 171 exhaust 77 cc they are not the cammandos i know that but ive never run aluminum head ive always ran steel heads so if yall say the eddys thats what ill go with!

and by the way this engine is a procharger engine so the boost factor comes in with bigger ports the more u have done to them the less boost u create at least thats what ive read!

Knowing this is a boosted engine would have been not only nice, but IMPOTANT info to know from the get go.

well rumble where can i find a good set of camando big prots and what are the the prive figures im looking at?

and by the way this engine is a procharger engine so the boost factor comes in with bigger ports the more u have done to them the less boost u create at least thats what ive read!

BOOST is just measured BACK PRESSURE...If you run large ports, you can run more PULLEY creating the BOOST you desire while moving much more air and making much much more HP!!
The large port heads require almost as much porting and corrective machine work as the W5 head...for that kind of money, just buy Indy 360-1 heads and run them OOTB.

Or run eddy heads with spring and valve upgrade.
I sell Eddy heads with Ferrea valves and beehive springs in the 1900.00 range and that includes our valve job and bowl blend and a 2.055 intake valve that helps the port flow good without paying for actual porting.
Brian

thanks brian ill def give that some thought i had looked at the indy heads and thought that may be the way to go but wasnt sure on a boosted engine!

thanks brian ill def give that some thought i had looked at the indy heads and thought that may be the way to go but wasnt sure on a boosted engine!

I'm an Indy dealer so if you go that route, let me know...my prices are pretty good!

BOOST is just measured BACK PRESSURE...If you run large ports, you can run more PULLEY creating the BOOST you desire while moving much more air and making much much more HP!!
The large port heads require almost as much porting and corrective machine work as the W5 head...for that kind of money, just buy Indy 360-1 heads and run them OOTB.

I sell Eddy heads with Ferrea valves and beehive springs in the 1900.00 range and that includes our valve job and bowl blend and a 2.055 intake valve that helps the port flow good without paying for actual porting.
Brian

i agree totally the springs that come on the eddys are fairly good springs but they have a pretty light seat presure so they are prone to float

I await your day when you have them ported stroked. I know your wanting to from a previous post and can't wait to see time slip results.
Your making E-Town right?

Whys that??...these heads have performed quite well for whats done to them,i can only imagine how well they flow when Ryan J. puts his magic to them..we ALWAYS make e-town...

You may want to search for some used W5's before you shell out the money for new heads. You'll still need all the same rocker gear with large port Commandos that you'd need with W5's. So if you have to buy that stuff anyway it only makes sense to get the best flowing heads (or at least the best potential) as possible. You can always port them later and just be out some gaskets.

Whys that??...these heads have performed quite well for whats done to them,i can only imagine how well they flow when Ryan J. puts his magic to them..we ALWAYS make e-town...

Because I look foward to Ryans work and your car going faster...and faster....and faster....

stroked needs to get those heads ported out and retune....then he will think his car USED to be slow! LOL

Brian

Ya beat me to it with that! lol

What would it cost to have a set of late 80's 360 heads mildly ported/cleaned up and set up... for a 318 turbo...maybe 1.88" or 1.92" intakes with 1.65" exhaust or ?larger? ??? with small diameter stems.
I am trying to make good power while not breaking the bank or the engine! I will probably be running around .550" lift, flat tappet solid (depending on the heads) What do you recommend? LOL

Because I look foward to Ryans work and your car going faster...and faster....and faster....

Why thank you..i'm looking forward to that too..but not this year,i need to spend money on the house so we'll see what i can get out of the current set-up...of coarse i could put spray on it and already be in the 10's.but anybody can do that..

why have the "right out of the box" heads to tight valve guides ? It's no good publicity for the manufactures that they don't do the work right from the beginning...i mean 1500$ for a set edel and then more dollars to get them ready for the "street"...??

Ya beat me to it with that! lol

What would it cost to have a set of late 80's 360 heads mildly ported/cleaned up and set up... for a 318 turbo...maybe 1.88" or 1.92" intakes with 1.65" exhaust or ?larger? ??? with small diameter stems.
I am trying to make good power while not breaking the bank or the engine! I will probably be running around .550" lift, flat tappet solid (depending on the heads) What do you recommend? LOL

About a grand.

-
Back