Original 63 gear set?

-

73Charger318

Member Rt 66 Mopar Club
Reaction score
Hello all. I have my diff cover off my 63 GT. To the untrained eye I don't see any issues. If I'm reading numbers correctly I believe this is the original gear set from 1963, and is 2.93. Do you guys see any concerns that I should look at before sealing it back up? Thanks!

IMG_2176.JPG

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2178.JPG

Nope, Spider gears are usually a problem on a 7 1/4'' Mainly because of abuse.
form what I can see they look ok. 2.93 is a good all round gear.

Nope, Spider gears are usually a problem on a 7 1/4'' Mainly because of abuse.
form what I can see they look ok. 2.93 is a good all round gear.

Exactly what I thought. Was happy to see the 2.93 inside. I'm going to seal it back up tomorrow. Thanks.

None I can see were there any issues before you opened it up? I would also replace the pinion seal and check the yoke for a wear groove where the seal rides on it. The pinion nut gets torqued to 240-foot pounds

None I can see were there any issues before you opened it up? I would also replace the pinion seal and check the yoke for a wear groove where the seal rides on it. The pinion nut gets torqued to 240-foot pounds

No issues before opening other than leaking when hot.

Thats good, if the pinion seal was leaking it would throw oil on the under carriage including the exhaust and leak on the ground when parked. The part number for the seal is 8516N in National brand.

Thats good, if the pinion seal was leaking it would throw oil on the under carriage including the exhaust and leak on the ground when parked. The part number for the seal is 8516N in National brand.

Thanks for the info. Do you know the mopar # of that seal? I had several NOS parts come with the car, so I may already have the seal. I probably wouldn't attempt to replace it even though I'm sure it's not that hard to do if you know what your doing. I've never even had a rear diff cover off on a car I've owned, let alone worked inside it. I leave that stuff to my mechanic. I will grab that $10 seal though. Will keep it around for a rainy day.

Thanks for the info. Do you know the mopar # of that seal? I had several NOS parts come with the car, so I may already have the seal. I probably wouldn't attempt to replace it even though I'm sure it's not that hard to do if you know what your doing. I've never even had a rear diff cover off on a car I've owned, let alone worked inside it. I leave that stuff to my mechanic. I will grab that $10 seal though. Will keep it around for a rainy day.

Pinion seal mopar P/N is 2070113 is the original 1963 part number and was replaced by 2404134

-
Back