Original Air Evaporator Issues

-

Tylinol

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm rebuilding my factory AC and I'm putting the AC and heater boxes back together with the help of the DMT kit. As part of this, I ordered a new evaporator from Original Air (as well as the stage 1 upgrade kit with the Sanden compressor, but that won't go on till the engine is back in...). This is the one I ordered: 67-73* Mopar A Body Evaporator Core NEW | Original Air Group

I've got a '69 Barracuda with factory AC. Comparing it to my old unit, and trying to install it, I'm having some serious issues. For one, the outlets are at a different angle and a bit lower than the original. I *might* be able to bend and force it to fit in the AC box, but it would definitely take enough forcing that breakage is likely. And still, with the different outlet location I'm not sure if it will still fit through the firewall hole.

Perhaps more problematic is the thermostat probe. On the original evaporator, a thermostat probe is inserted through a small hole and shuts the compressor off if the evaporator coils start to freeze. While I do see a hole in the same location on the new evaporator, it's blocked by the rest of the inner bracket, and the fins are not drilled to allow inserting the probe even if this hole were opened up. To remedy this I'd need a drill press and a ~12" bit at least.

Just wondering if anyone else had similar experiences with this part, or if maybe I got a QC failure.

TN2OCGfy.jpg

tUA6R3XL.jpg

u75YL0G1.jpg

First thing I'd do is contact supplier and see if it is actually correct one listed. Otherwise......

You know how to braze? AC guys (I used to be HVAC/R) use a product called "silfos" brand name for silver bearing-phosphorus brazing rod. It needs no flux on copper. You clean the copper, use an oxy-acet torch and flow it in. If it were me, I'd try and mod the tubes to fit, heat, bend, extend, etc

The sensor you should be able to re-route but be careful, as old as they are, likely weakoned. You can likely GENTLY work something like a knitting/ darning needle through the fins to give it a "place."

First thing I'd do is contact supplier and see if it is actually correct one listed. Otherwise......

You know how to braze? AC guys (I used to be HVAC/R) use a product called "silfos" brand name for silver bearing-phosphorus brazing rod. It needs no flux on copper. You clean the copper, use an oxy-acet torch and flow it in. If it were me, I'd try and mod the tubes to fit, heat, bend, extend, etc

The sensor you should be able to re-route but be careful, as old as they are, likely weakoned. You can likely GENTLY work something like a knitting/ darning needle through the fins to give it a "place."

I've done soldering and welding, but not brazing. By the time I get the equipment for that, it would seem like I'm better off getting my old evaporator rebuilt - I have a new temperature sensor that I got as part of Original Air's AC upgrade kit.

-
Back