Original Headlights

-
Great, would love to see it.

Please re-read my comments about inkstamps and codes on sealed beams; I addressed all of this. It is not the case that there "should be three digits" at the top of the lamp. Sometimes there are, and sometimes there aren't, and sometimes there's something else.

Already answered this, too.

Be very, very, very careful writing a reference book. It's a much bigger job than it seems. It is extremely easy to include guesses and assumptions and received wisdom and observations from looking at one or two or three cars as "facts", and it is extremely difficult to verify a great many details such as the brand of headlamp originally installed.

"How it was from the factory" depends on which factory built it, on what date, for what market (cars built for Canada got different equipment than cars built for the US, which got different equipment than cars built for export to Sweden, which got different equipment than cars built for export to France, etc.). How it was from the factory also depends on random chance. When 273-2bbls were being assembled, whichever carburetor happened to be in stock and next in line got used—a Carter BBD or a Stromburg WW3. Same with 225s; they'd get a Holley 1920 or a Carter BBS. Ignition coils, too, came from a few different suppliers. Same with headlamps. And those guys who spend ridiculous sums of money to get a custom-made crayon with exactly the shade of orange (or whatever) they think is "correct" for the slash mark on their rear axle? They're delusional. There was no "correct" color for that crayon. It was whatever the rear axle inspector had in his hand. They weren't about to stop the line because he used up a crayon and another one of exactly the same shade wasn't available.

Was it built for export, or for the US market?
Hi!
I'll shoot a picture of it when I get back home.

Re the datecodes I have only seen lamps with codes. It might bemore common over there to see them without datecodes. But you are probably right.

About the reference manual I have been working with it a little bit over one year. Things that I have been wondering about have sometimes been answered by old workers.But of cause still there are points that haven't been solved. So I have just pointed out that too. Hopefully we can get a clue about it in the future.

My car was built at the LA plant in January of 1965. All the DartChargers were just built for the western US.

Re how they made the markings you are right. I have seen very strange markings which should not be there. I guess that they could be mad or just tired back then too.

I'll get back to you with the picture later. By the way, thanks for the help Dan.

-
Back