Original proportion valve from a 75 Duster do I need that plastic tool to bleed the brakes? Or is that for the newer-style valves?

-

Sixpack_Sid

Reaction score
Original proportion valve from a 75 Duster do I need that plastic tool to bleed the brakes? Or is that for the newer-style valves?

Thanks,

Sid

If it has the brake light switch built in you need to hold the piston centered while bleeding. If the piston shifts you will never get fluid to whatever side is blocked. You dont need a special tool, use a drill bit or any pokey thing that will fit in the hole. You should not get fluid when the switch is removed. If you do, the prop valve needs new o-rings.

Just to make sure this is a pic of the piece from the prop valve. It doesn’t seem to have a switch it’s just a solid piece.

IMG_0389.jpeg

IMG_0388.jpeg

That is the switch. When the piston inside shifts it will ground out that pin and light the light on the dash.

So do I need that plastic tool or will it be ok to just bleed it with this switch in it?

You don't need any special tool, just bleed the brakes in the proper order and the piston will end up where it needs to be. Passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front, driver front. It's in the factory manual.

-
Back