Our 1st test factory Magnum heads

-

IQ52

Reaction score
Being the rookies that we are, we've never done any work to the factory Magnum heads. Finally the chance has arrived and we are working a 360 for a '96 pick up. What follows are the flow figures designed for the engine using a cam in the .500" lift range.

Lift.............Stock 1.92............Ported 2.02

.100..............64........................71cfm

I'm not really impressed with the heads and would rather use the 360X head. What the heck, it was a chance to experiment.

I like them for a bolt on improvement in terms of a 318 or mild 360 although it would be the EQ heads new unless for some reason the factory ones had no cracks. But as soon as you start cutting IMO the LA heads are cheaper and easier to get on a running engine.

IQ, how much work, if any, did you do to the pinch? Everytime I look at a Mag intake port, I always end up shaking my head.....lol. People have tried to convince me that it's ok, and the stock # do look pretty good, but I'm still having a hard time buying it. Would love to know your thoughts on that. If anyone could convince me, it's you. Thanks, Rick

Did almost nothing to the pinch. Isn't that the dumbest design? Looks like an obstacle course in that port. Mustah been the same guy that designed the International Harvester head back in the '60s.

Did almost nothing to the pinch. Isn't that the dumbest design? Looks like an obstacle course in that port. Mustah been the same guy that designed the International Harvester head back in the '60s.

Thanks Man, I'm still trying to catch up on the modern tech. The last serious build I was involved with was in 1986....lol. And it was a 455 Pontiac with Round ports. I think i'll reserve the stock Mags for a milder build that needs some cc. I think you did a great job on those though, 260's is pretty impressive from my perspective.:thumblef:

Unfortunately.As a Magnum owner,(it was free) love the plug and play aspect. Ported the first port,still depressing. Not great,done a few sets .Simply bought the EQ's instead. Every post here,dead on the money. IQ52, nice numbers,understand your thoughts. Thanks,for the post.

-
Back