Our 78 Magnum GT Found

-
Never saw many GTs even when new. Car Craft modded a '78 400 GT and gave it away at the street machine nationals. Dodge had a cool ad showing a black GT parked next to an AAR!
Never owned one, still a fan! Petty supposedly called it an aero brick, but he still did better with that car than some years with his gm sleds!

Petty did t like them much. Factory support wasn’t all that ether. The other guys updated there cylinder heads and other parts making it harder to compete. When the W2 was new, no one else could stand next to it very well. As all things race, it was the boss for only so long.

I picked up my Magnum from the original owner who purchased off of the show room floor where the dealer dressed up a regular XE with GT stripes.

After the 1978 Daytona Twin 125’s old DW said Richard had the fastest car, (about at the 29:50 mark of video) and during the early stages of the 500 Petty showed that to be so until he blew a tire. Always understood it was lack of support and parts vs. the car itself.

Ooooooo, high Accolades! Giving credit where credit is due. Very classy.

I love that they are running 76 and 77 model year cars in 78.

I had a friend who had one one time. Had a 440 in it. That thing wouldn't pull a greasy string outta a cats ***. Had a semi lumpy cam in it. Transmission shifted like a land yacht C body. He asked me if I could do something to it. He let me have it for a week and I advanced the cam and put a hot ignition curve in it. Had 130 PSI when I started and 165 when I got done. I put a TF2 in the transmission. That big beeotch would get sideways from a dead stop and spin into 3rd when I got done. lol Never did know what gear it had, but it was a highway gear. Whatever the standard 9 1/4 gear was in them. It was big, but it was cool.

My 9-1/4 came out of a ‘78 Cordoba w/3.23’s. One day in the Magnum, the rear let loose, the pinion bearing. BOOM! SMOKE!
Grrrrrrr….

At least it happened within a mile or so of my old mechanic. It was a Sunday. Came by Monday morning with the ring and pinion I had picked up for the swap I wanted to do anyway. A day & a few bucks later, done!
Not even greasy roadside fingers!

-
Back