Out door games we played.

-
Yeah brings back lots of memories. Baseball, Wiffle ball, stick ball, king of the Hill, just riding our Bikes.
This is why none of us were overweight back then.

How about rubber band guns!

1x2 or a 2x2 gun with wooden clothes pins tacked down on the back and a little nail in front to hold the rubber band. Good times!!

Oh yes, lots of Wiffle Ball.

im the last generation before computer games came about, but we played cops/robbers, cowboys/indians, army, had cap guns and even shot each other with BBs, basketball was big here, as was football. Kickball and handball and the game where you slide pucks across pavement trying to land in a painted triangle, cant think of the name off the top of my head. didn't play a lot of baseball around here. we even built makeshift forts in the woods out of downed branches and used mud balls as grenades

How about rubber band guns!

1x2 or a 2x2 gun with wooden clothes pins tacked down on the back and a little nail in front to hold the rubber band. Good times!!

Oh yes, lots of Wiffle Ball.
remember HillBilly Switch blades? I used to make them and sell them for .50 cents each

My Brother and I used to do that, but it was 6 foot steel digging bars and up on the mountain behind our property.
I'm talking prying boulders the size of a Volkswagon loose and watch them tear up the landscape and take down trees.

We also had BB gun wars and often came home with one or two BB's embedded in us.
We would have to hide the wound from Mom until we could dig them out with a pocket knife.
My Brother ran from one cover to another and dropped his gun.
He was hiding behind a piece of roofing tin and trying to reach out where his gun was.
I kept warning him, but he persisted and I shot the entire covering off his index finger knuckle all the way to the bone.
Mom found out about that one because he was bleeding pretty bad, and she got really pissed at me until I showed her some of my already healed wounds.
Then she just stood there looking at us shaking her head.
These were Crossman pump rifles, and not the spring type BB guns and it was a two pump rule. (not always followed)
We lived in the Sierra Nevada mountains north of Lake Tahoe, so not a lot of socialization with other kids especially during summer break.
And I thought my friends and I were the only ones dumb enough to do that! BB gun wars- 2 pump rule on Crossman/Shermans... Daisies weren't an issue. We wore cycle helmets/ goggles and heavy denim jackets. Three shots to the body or one to the head and you had to go to the "dead zone" for ten or fifteen minutes- we usualy used that time to reload. I had a Daisy that held about a hundred BBs in a tube under the barrel, and that thing got so worn out that BBs would just roll out of the barrel if you ever aimed downward... Used to buy BBs in a gallon jug down at the Trading Post...

I played shoot the ground squirrel with my Marlin Model 60. Probably arrest me now a days if they new a teenager keep a gun in his bedroom and 200 rounds of CCI hollow points, that I bought at the store. Before we moved to the sticks it was ride my bike all over town and go to the creek and pool with my friends. Living where friends we're overly accessible got me into cars.

In the summer, when the grass on the hillside was dead, we would find the largest piece of cardboard and slide down it. No snow in the Bay area, so this is the closest thing to sledding we had. The runs got faster as the grass flattened out. Good times

We used to play Frisbe golf. Pick a target and name par. We traveled a lot and 4 or 5 Frisbes took up little room.

Last edited:
And I thought my friends and I were the only ones dumb enough to do that! BB gun wars- 2 pump rule on Crossman/Shermans... Daisies weren't an issue. We wore cycle helmets/ goggles and heavy denim jackets. Three shots to the body or one to the head and you had to go to the "dead zone" for ten or fifteen minutes- we usualy used that time to reload. I had a Daisy that held about a hundred BBs in a tube under the barrel, and that thing got so worn out that BBs would just roll out of the barrel if you ever aimed downward... Used to buy BBs in a gallon jug down at the Trading Post...

I don't know about Sherman's, as those things are pretty strong.
I had an all brass Benjamin with the pump rod that pulled straight out the front, and then put it on the toe of your boot and push it back in.
That thing would kill birds with one pump.

When I was around 14 I had a bunch of cars and trucks, and I would take my Ford Ranch Wagon out into the desert-ish part of the area I lived in to hunt Jackrabbits.
I had everything from a 6.5mm Japanese rifle (Dad called it the Jap6-5, 300 Savage, shotguns, a Ruger1022 and my Crossman, but the Crossman was my favorite for the Jackrabbits.
I would pick out a rabbit and trot after him, keeping him moving and eventually he would tire out and I could get him.
Then pick out another one, and do that all day long.

Lots of times I would look back where the wagon was parked and there would be the Sheriff sitting there in his car. (John Martin was his name)
Once I saw him sitting there I would start walking back to the wagon, and when I got there he would tell me to put the Crossman in the back and get in.
On the way home he would tell me he knew I wasn't old enough to drive and ask "how many times he had to come and get me"

Well, he would take me home and drop me off but as soon as he was gone I would get on my dirtbike and go back to get the wagon.
I would drag the bike into the back and drive home.
He asked me a few times how the wagon got back and I would just say it was like the dog and knows where it lives.
He would just smile and tell me I shouldn't be driving.

Well after hiking the mountains all the time and running down Jackrabbits, when I went into the military I was in pretty good shape.
Those trotting 6-8 mile marches at 4 in the morning were nothing to me, when other guys were choking and hacking and whining.:D
25 years later I went back to the town I lived in to look him up and say hi.
Sheriff John Martin had died from Lou Gehrig's disease.:(

Some day I'll tell you guys about Squirrel fishing.
That's frickin hilarious.

Did many of the above. One summer me and a buddy stole some 3/4" stainless pipe from a school being built. We were around 12. We started making choppers out of our and friends stingray bikes with it. The cops were close to nailing us so we snuck back with the rest of the pipe and returned it. The next day they walked right in my friends garage looking for it. Close call. lol Wish I had pics. They were soo cool.

Oh yeah, loved making choppers. We would saw off a old pair of forks and have them welded on to the good forks, bam, instant chopper!! I have one picture of mine in a box.

Outdoor games that didn't cost money, yeah, we played a lot of them.
  • Washers. Take a soup can and make two holes in the ground 12 feet apart. like horseshoes, toss washers at the holes. Amazing how good you get.
  • Horseshoes
  • Kick the can
  • basketball/baseball
  • Croquet
  • cowboys
  • boxing. made a ring out of the garden hose

I remember I used to lay a soda can on its side and ride over it with the back tire of my bike which pinned it up against my frame and tire.

And just like that, I had a motorcycle lol

We played a lot of red light, hide and go seek, war, climbing trees, cowboys and indians, and tag.
But the thing we did the most of was ride our bikes everywhere and play street hockey.
Then when we got older, we played nicki nicky nine doors and bag o' ****.
For those who haven't heard of bag o' ****, you get a brown paper bag and go and find dog **** and put it in.
Then you go to someone's step and light it on fire and ring the door bell.
Then you ran away and hid until the person in the house opened the door and watched them stomp the fire out!
Kids wouldn't dare to do that these days because they don't even know what a brown paper bag is and their phones wouldn't have an app for it.

best game ever.. we played Doctor = MAN did I get in trouble! :D:eek::rolleyes:

I had a mini bike, lots of farm land = = "just make sure you're home before dark". Then my best friend got one too, that was the beginning of the end = MAN did I (we) get in trouble!:lol:

I discovered weed and alcohol at 14 ..........................................
MAN did I get in.... to all kinds of trouble ! :confederateflag: :lol::lol:

Last edited:
Growing up In snowy Syracuse NY in the 70’s, bombing cars with snowballs was an almost daily winter activity and chased in the woods and fields by angry drivers... never got caught. Also, hopping cars when they had real bumpers. At stop signs we would roll over the snow bank, grab on the rear bumper and hang on... great fun.

Growing up In snowy Syracuse NY in the 70’s, bombing cars with snowballs was an almost daily winter activity and chased in the woods and fields by angry drivers... never got caught. Also, hopping cars when they had real bumpers. At stop signs we would roll over the snow bank, grab on the rear bumper and hang on... great fun.
Throwing snowballs at cars was fun but was even funner when you put a rock in it............
Grabbing bumpers and sliding on your feet was called Hookey-Bobbing where I came from.
It was great until the car hit a patch of dry pavement or your gloves froze to the bumper!
Lotsa fun though!

You guys coulda grown up in my neighborhood. We played hide and seek at dusk with 2 people "it" so you could hide behind a car or bush, you got circled. Red Rover where you learned to respect the fat kid. We did a version of street wiffleball when the tigers took the pennant in 68. We kept batting averages and HR's. Did a game called curb ball where you throw the rubber ball off the curb for singles, doubles etc. Only need 4 players, 2 on a team. We did strikeout with a strike zone painted on the side of the school.
dirt bombs.
They were digging the ratwall on some new construction at the end of the block so perfect opposing trenches and lots of ammo. In 6th grade I made pocket slingshots out of bobby pins you could fit in your shirt pocket. Put a hole in the teachers newpaper one morning! "Go outside and play" come home when the street light come on.

What about "500" hit and catch baseball. Grounders where 50 and flyball 100. Get 500 and you get to bat.

We did that with a variation on the scoring:
flyball was worth 100 points
one-bounce grounder was 75
two-bounce grounder was 50
more-than-two-bounce grounder was 25 and you had to field it cleanly before it quit rolling
If you misplayed a flyball and dropped it, then it was -100 points, same negatives for all the others
And you had to hit 500 right on the nose

Did almost all of the stuff described before.
Played lots of 'army'. Had a variation of that also that we called "Falls". One guy would be the 'shooter' and shoot (we made up our own gun noises) us as we charged him. We'd zig-zag as we'd seen in war movies on TV but when we got 'shot' we put on the dramatics when falling. Best performance won. Mom always wondered where all the grass stains came from.

Kids today have no idea how much fun their parents had when we were young!

Baseball, street hockey in the evenings. Marbles. Slingshots made from fence boards and innertubes. Tennis ball cannons.
Lots of fishing, and cycling along the river, called them monkey trails.
The little army men, magnifying glasses..
Gi.Joe was big when i was growing up.

we spent most of the summer at the lake, boating fishing hiking.
Now i live there, not very far from where our cottage was.

-
Back