out of curiousity

-

Cerwin

Reaction score
When you write a letter, to whomever it may be and your finished you sign it and what have you.. but lets say you forget something..
when you say..

"Regards,
Cerwin

PS".. what does the ps stand for? <----

Im just curious.. i knew once apon a time and now i cant remember, and i need to know at this point. its driving me crazy!

ok now that we are on this kind of thinking i have one that bugs me. what does r.s.v.p. mean?

OldVart said:
"repondez s'il vous plait" or as Longgone said "respond please". I think I got that French right - long time no write Francais. :)
so if this is a french term as you say then i wonder how the use of it got started in the usa? seeing as we are (were) an english colony and all, it would seem to me we would have had an english term for this...humm??funny how something very few people know the meaning of will hang on for so long. just because i guess....like the p.s. on letters thing.

7demon2 said:
so if this is a french term as you say then i wonder how the use of it got started in the usa? seeing as we are (were) an english colony and all, it would seem to me we would have had an english term for this...humm??funny how something very few people know the meaning of will hang on for so long. just because i guess....like the p.s. on letters thing.

That`s the beauty of America, all the diverse countries and cultures that have shaped us into the mighty nation and steaming pile that we are!

I read a strange fact the other day. US gauge railroads are the width they are because of the Roman Imperial war chariot standard. Stranger yet, is the fact that the Space Shuttle booster rockets are the width THEY are because of the need to fit them on a rail car.

So the most complex machine on the planet had it's design influenced by the width of a Roman war chariot over 2000 years ago. Now THAT is global influence.

superdart said:
So the most complex machine on the planet had it's design influenced by the width of a Roman war chariot over 2000 years ago. Now THAT is global influence.

BOOYA.. silly romans.. shaping the world from 2000 years ago..

I personally like wierd facts like that.. as simple as butterflies tasteing with their feet... to the fact that a satilite rounds the earth 5-6 times a days... right up to the fact that humans cant lick their own elbows..

right up to the fact that humans cant lick their own elbows..

i wonder how many of us tried to do this after reading this!!! i know i did. sadly, i couldn't either....lol

When our fore fathers voted between english and german for our language english won by only one vote. How different would WWI or WWII have been if we were a german speaking country?

sproken duetch?

naaaaa
i prefers english! :headbang:

mind you i have learnt to speak english and french and german..
and one day ill have to learn AMERICAN.. harharhar

That`s the beauty of America, all the diverse countries and cultures that have shaped us into the mighty nation and steaming pile that we are!
So true. We have in our daily speach more words with backrounds we are not aware of.
I was watching a movie the other night. It was in French. To my surprise, more familar words poped up than I thought was going to happen. Not exacters in the way we say. But certainly close enuff.
When our fore fathers voted between english and german for our language english won by only one vote.
What a shame it didn't become law. Not trying to stop other langues from being spoken, but a commmon one we can all understand would be great. Ever go to (In New York) Chhina town? Not a sign (For years) in Engilsh. Parts of the area are near a strickly Spanish population. Not easy finding an address when all you get is "No, speaka da english."
(Even worse when it's on purpose. I know. They say it better than I do and smile at ya weird. )

Sorry mrmopartech to involve you innocently, but rumblefish is right in a few was and its sad.. Here in canada for instance, there is.. well something that i cant figure out let alone get over! Quebec!!!!! Canada has to have BOTH english and french signs on the highways and on produce.. in most cases. Now with Quebec on the other hand.. do you think you would find an english sign anywhere? no.. your lucky to even find a person willing to talk to you in ENGLISH. But i feel your pain about china town.. been there its like china.. not new york.

i shwoodent saey it.. but cwem of sum yung guy

silly round eye, your engrish is soo fwunnny!!

!!! TURN OFF YOUR SIGNAL !!!

Mr. Mopartech? I can see trying to know somw French while on vaction in France or up in a certain part of Canada, but knowing the language and not speakin it to help is just sad and low. Not the way I was raised.

I think it's said that people will go to another country to live and not care to learn the main language of the land. I don't know about you, but should I end up in Finland, I'm learning ASAP!

rumblefish360 said:
I think it's said that people will go to another country to live and not care to learn the main language of the land. I don't know about you, but should I end up in Finland, I'm learning ASAP!

how about sweden??? Ohhh ya!!

Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure, why not. LOL. My knowleadge falls off on what spoken where up there. Norway, Sweeden, Finland. Is it the same language or just 2.
I knew a girl from Oslo that came to the states for years. She had a blast and probably would still be here if things were to have stayed nice. But, some guys never learn and he lost a Godesss.

rumblefish360 said:
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure, why not. LOL. My knowleadge falls off on what spoken where up there. Norway, Sweeden, Finland. Is it the same language or just 2.

In Finland we've 2 official languages: Finnish and Swedish. Many people can both of them, like myself. Almost everyone here speaks English too, it's like our "third official language". Actually, my English is waaaay better than my Swedish.

In Sweden, the language is Swedish and in Norway they speak Norwegian. Swedish and Norwegian have common roots but Finnish is very different (and difficult to learn I have heard). So there are 3 different languages.

Cerwin said:
I personally like wierd facts like that.. as simple as butterflies tasteing with their feet... to the fact that a satilite rounds the earth 5-6 times a days... right up to the fact that humans cant lick their own elbows..

Well here is an interesting fact for you. Do you know why semi trailers are the height they are? Because the bridges are are the height they are right? Well do you know why the bridges are that height? Because that was the tallest missile on a carrier that we had at the time.

7demon2 said:

Could be that it's because France supported the US when they decided to break away from the English and become a republic.

Also may be why you use the French term "cul de sac" for a dead-end street. :)

Stance said:
In Finland we've 2 official languages: Finnish and Swedish. Many people can both of them, like myself. Almost everyone here speaks English too, it's like our "third official language". Actually, my English is waaaay better than my Swedish.

In Sweden, the language is Swedish and in Norway they speak Norwegian. Swedish and Norwegian have common roots but Finnish is very different (and difficult to learn I have heard). So there are 3 different languages.

Oh! Thanks man. At least, now I know. Do you think I'll (Or any American) have much of a problem on vatcion there?
A good freinds father was a Norwegian sailor. He wants to go back and meet family that he never met. His memory of the language is very faded since he was 4 when he came to the states.

Heres a giggle; http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/index.html

-
Back