Out of the Box. Body work.

-

BigWhip

New to Mopar land
Reaction score
My son is trying to learn body work on one of his cars( not a Mopar). He and his buddies have decided it is better to paint the car with Plasti Dip instead of paint. So when they run out of work time they just spray it and peel it off later or if they have a run on a panel they just peel it off.​
The materiel is strong and seems very protective.

Have any of you done or seen this?
He has only sprayed the matt plastic coating on 3 cars.

Michael

What cost is involved? If it's not too bad it might be good to preserve something so you could get to it later.

Not much at all,compared to paint. Good for about three months or so. Armor All actually has it in aerosol, 15 bucks a can. As for professional application, not a clue.

The stuff is really cool, I have yet to use it, but goes on smooth and peels off with little to no work. Works well if you want to shoot your wheels black but don't want to repaint later down the road, any body part of car can be shot black, (there is more colors available online) Its nice because you can play around with your car/bike or what ever your have and change it in a snap if you don't like it. I have seen guys lay stripes down there car with this plasti-dip came out looking real cool. For 6.00$ a can from Home Depot the possibility's are endless and easily reversible if your not happy with the outcome http://www.homedepot.com/s/plasti+dip?NCNI-5

P.s Working on my Mopar's is the way I have learned everything from welding to body work to painting to mechanical. Tell your son to keep at it and pick up as much knowledge as he can!

I own a Tundra and am a member of forum for them. A lot of people on there use it for all different things from rims to bumpers and grills. Its not permanent at all and comes off fairly easy. I used it on some receiver hitches to make them match my truck. It looks good for a little while. Its not a permanent fix by any means

$17.00 a spray can here in ontario. I think its great stuff for certain things.I have it on the front end of my ram.....Stone/chip/bug protecter..works great CLEAR not coloured. 3 years now. I also clear coated over it to harden it more. Dont think id paint a hole car........This stuff will still show inperfections. sure it will fill in tiny spots but thats it. JM2CW

I own a Tundra and am a member of forum for them. A lot of people on there use it for all different things from rims to bumpers and grills. Its not permanent at all and comes off fairly easy. I used it on some receiver hitches to make them match my truck. It looks good for a little while. Its not a permanent fix by any means
Put some clear coat over it and you will be suprised on toughness

Put some clear coat over it and you will be suprised on toughness

I bet if you have a truck with a super nice paint job you want to take offroading in the woods, a.coating of this would probably protect against most scratches, then you peel it off later. I have heard that if you spray it over a dull finish like primer, its harder to remove, doesnt peel as easily

I bet if you have a truck with a super nice paint job you want to take offroading in the woods, a.coating of this would probably protect against most scratches, then you peel it off later. I have heard that if you spray it over a dull finish like primer, its harder to remove, doesnt peel as easily

How about spaying it on the lower quarter panels before going to the track to kept those nasty tire rubber bits from sticking to your awesome paint job?

How about spaying it on the lower quarter panels before going to the track to kept those nasty tire rubber bits from sticking to your awesome paint job?

Thats what duct tape is for. Much cheaper than that spray stuff.good idea tho, especially if you can find it in a color close to your paint job

...the guy I buy bolts from sprayed his whole jeep with bed liner...if you are looking for protection from chips :)

Ok People here is some of the dip he has done.

The last car they have just done the wheels and grills in this photo. I know this car has been coated now but I do not know the color.

Next week he is going to try gloss.

Attachments

• plastic 2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 147
  • Plastic 3.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 154
  • Plastic 4.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 156
  • Plastic 5.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 154
  • Plastic 6.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 148
  • Plasti coat.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 180
I think its pretty cool stuff if you just want a temporary paint job. Its also super-easy to apply if you do it right. Aot of guys in at the import car meets plastidip wheels right there on the spot in whatever color.

My friend just dipped his car in orange, it looks pretty good. This was his first time too
swnn4BT.jpg

flrS5vI.jpg

Plasti-dip works pretty good on old hard rubber parts like the seals in the door jam of hardtops that have the slot for the rear-window glass, to make them look better. I thought I had a pic somewhere but I guess not.

-
Back