Out With the Hydraulic Roller and In With A Solid Roller

-

Jay Anderson

Reaction score
Comp says must convert to a oil through pushrod system. What exactly am I looking at to make this conversion? 408 small block non-magnum block. Thanks!

Why MUST you convert to pushrod oiling?

What do you have for rockers? I've run roller cams for ever and I've never run pushrod oiling.

It was a technical note for their lifters 843-16. I've since seen other lifters that don't have that note like the 828-16. Most of my experience is from BBC and SBC. My rockers are Comp Ultra Pro Magnums.

hollow B&B pushrods aka Magnum, your size may vary. Most hydro flat tapped lifters have the oil hole in them anyway to satisfy AMC applications. Im sure the 843-16's have the oil hole in the seat. I see no reason why you would not want to run hollows if you had the oil hole and the rockers did not have an oil jet. Oil is good.

Last edited:
Too much oil will go to the top end. You're asking for trouble if you do oil thru pushrods. But it's not my motor. Do what you want.

Too much oil will go to the top end. You're asking for trouble if you do oil thru pushrods. But it's not my motor. Do what you want.
Run an HV oil pump if you think volume is an issue. Most of the aftermarket LA lifters today have an oil hole in them. If the oil is already squirting out the lifter hole with ~75% of the time off the lobe in a solid lifter doing nothing but flooding the lifter valley, why would you not want to divert some of that oil up to the rockers 5 inches higher 25% of the time? Drain back is pretty good from the heads..as you got multiple 2" holes right back to the lifter valley. The lifters, are they called out as a magnum (fulcrum rockers) application? That would dictate oiling pushrods..Dunno, am I visualizing this wrong?

Lots of other people will chime in. Pick the answer you like. You have convinced yourself already you want oil thru pushrods. So go with it. Right or worng?

That note on the 843-16 states "for use on pushrod oiler engines..", that it has an oiler for pushrods. I would not take that as a directive to use pushrod oiling. I think your good with solids if you already have oil to the rockers.

Lots of other people will chime in. Pick the answer you like. You have convinced yourself already you want oil thru pushrods. So go with it. Right or worng?
No sir I haven’t convinced myself of anything other than replacing the hydraulic roller with a solid roller. I’m hoping I can just re-use the shaft and rockers. Then purchase the cam, lifters, and correct length pushrods.

-
Back