Outer race loose

-

Nappa82

Reaction score
9" Drums, Outer race.

The outer race in the hub is loose and is causing a clicking noise. I thought it was the bearing but after inspecting it I noticed the race is loose. I cannot pull it out but it does move.

Is there a fix for this? New hub?

If new hub anyone know where I can get one for 9" Drums? (Rather 2)

I currently do not have the cash to be changing the brake system.

Peen the drum where the race seats, and loctite the race into the drum.
Works every time, and then you can relax a little while you find a new drum.

If you need specifics on how to do it speak up and we'll get er done.

Please do share I am not sure what you mean by peen. I am all for learning to get this fixed.

Ok, so here's a good example.
Use a pointed punch and dent the race seat area of the drum right where the race normally sits and then use red loctite liberally when reinstalling the race.
Basically it just makes the race tight in the drum and the loctite reinforces the race where it might not quite come into contact with the drum surface, as well as kinda glues it in.

You want the drum's race area and the race REALLY clean of oils when you put it in.
I have done this before and run them for years before it had a problem again so I'm sure it will get you by for awhile.

Attachments

• peening.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 137
Sweet thank you for the info going to do that in just a few.

Sure no problem.
Don't be shy about smacking that punch and try to get the depth and distance of the dents as even as you can.
Then drive the race in with the loctite already on the drum, and drive the race in as straight as you can.

Perfect picture for exactly what I thought you had done. I will do the same.

Please know that a loose race is not where the clicking was comming from.
I suspect a bad bearing but could possibly be a spring, lining, etc.. inside.
If that is a bad bearing, the peen wont hold very long.

I believe the spindle is a bit out of wack on the outer race and is causing the bearing to sit funny and causing them to go bad. Also probably due to using cheap bearings and the combination of the two.

-
Back