Outside Door Handles

-

This Bad Demon

Reaction score
I did a search but couldn't find anything. Anyone ever rebuild an outside door handle on a 1972 Demon or one similar to the style handle?

Is this a trick question?
There is exactly one moving part. It either goes in and out and opens the door,or it's junk, or the door is stuck, or the striker has failed, or the pull-rod has failed.

Now if it's not opening the door, that's another story and a different question.

Not a trick question...Never had one apart...Never took it off the door before. I ask cause I put a used latch on and it is still not able to open from the outside....So I know it's in the handle...I don't live in the US and tryin to avoid having to order parts if it could be rebuilt.

Heard it was basically the same door handle as a mid 70's to late 80's pickup door handle

Just guessing, push button far as it will go and latch doesn't pop, or maybe it did but button wouldn't return.
Should be a tiny little hole in the latch side of the door, just above the latch. That's where a allen wrench goes in and loosens/re-tightens to adjust length of the actuator rod going down to the latch mechanism.

used latch? a lot of those latches are year specific, also did you clean & service said latch before installing? that thing should snap when being operated.
How does your latch work from the inside?
This could be as simple as the lock mechanism portion of this latch is stuck causing the outside door handle not to work.(how they are designed)
clean/ lubrication is your friend on these things ,Lawrence

Just guessing, push button far as it will go and latch doesn't pop, or maybe it did but button wouldn't
Should be a tiny little hole in the latch side of the door, just above the latch. That's where a allen wrench goes in and loosens/re-tightens to adjust length of the actuator rod going down to the latch mechanism.

The button has play in it when the rod is attached. When disconnected the play in the button is not there....The latch to the inside is working fine.

used latch? a lot of those latches are year specific, also did you clean & service said latch before installing? that thing should snap when being operated.
How does your latch work from the inside?
This could be as simple as the lock mechanism portion of this latch is stuck causing the outside door handle not to work.(how they are designed)
clean/ lubrication is your friend on these things ,Lawrence

you've pretty much stated the rod is pulling on the button mechanism. When the rod length is adjusted correctly there will be very little lost motion in the button.

*update* I been tied up with work but I got some time today to work on the door. I found the adjustment hole...Did some adjusting and the door works properly...Thanks for all the help....

-
Back