Outside Storage Ideas

-

wirenut

Reaction score
I have a 68 Dart that has been stored indoors for 20 years or so, I have lost storage and dont want to keep it in my work space. So I was thinking about storing outside on a gravel parking area, with heavy mill plastic over the gravel and a water proof breathable cover. I dont want a hoop house. Anybody see a problem with the way I want to do it? Hopefully it will only be for a year or so.:dontknow:

This was my cheapest storage idea,don,t know if this is a...hoop house??I,m just storing my car in this so I have full access in my garage for working on my other car.Good Luck!

POPUP GARAGE 001.jpg

POPUP GARAGE 011.jpg

I have put my cars outside as well. I live in Southern California and the climate is mild but I am close to the beach so things do rot here pretty fast. So what I do is put the car on concrete (thats pretty much my only option) and cover the car with a good quality cover then cover the car with multiple blue tarps. I use really thick and good quality tarps for longevity reasons. I bungee chord them to the car to keep the tarps in place. It works nice for me. Good luck.

I'm storing my latest. The Volare wagon on the car trailer this winter.
Covered it with a heavy trap and tied it down tight to keep it from rubbing
the paint in high winds. i also put cheap dryer sheets everywhere to keep the
animals out of it. Good luck.

poly defeats the purpose of a breathable cover. Those blue tarps get eat up by the suns uv rays. One day its a tarp and the next day its a mess of little fibers scattered everywhere. The cheaper car covers wont stand up to the sun either. Buy a high quality cover if you buy one and put the car up on 4 of the tallest jack stands you can find. I use scaffold stands (18 inches tall ) with a 4 inch length of 5 inch channel welded on the top. Frame rails sit in them perfectly. Mind you it does take a bit of work to geter jacked up that high but worth the effort. Like they say "high and dry".

-
Back