Over center spring

-

la67DartGT

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of the 4 speed swap, and was swapping out the pedal assembly. As I was doing this, I discovered the brake pedal on the 4 speed setup was sticky, so I took the assembly apart to free up the brake pedal. When putting it all back together, I had the most irritating time putting the over center spring back on. I did finally figure it out, but as i play more with it, it really seems like this spring doesn't do anything. Is the over center spring really required? Can I remove it and leave it out?

- Don

I'm in the midst of the 4 speed swap, and was swapping out the pedal assembly. As I was doing this, I discovered the brake pedal on the 4 speed setup was sticky, so I took the assembly apart to free up the brake pedal. When putting it all back together, I had the most irritating time putting the over center spring back on. I did finally figure it out, but as i play more with it, it really seems like this spring doesn't do anything. Is the over center spring really required? Can I remove it and leave it out?

- Don
I took mine off when I changed my clutch to a Centerforce dual friction.It,s nice and easy on my left leg(previous surgerys).

It pulls the pedal up when near the top and pulls it down to reduce the effort. Kind of like a compound bow (if you know what I mean). There is a thread in here somewhere where someone suggests removing it when using a diaphragm clutch. Not sure that's a good idea? That being said I ran mine without for a number of years with no detrimental affect. I got into an accident one year and it popped off and I just never got around to putting it back on. It's back on now but you're right it wasn't easy to put on.

Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll leave it there for now. No point in going back to remove it now. :) Thanks!

yes there is no point in running one with a diaphram clutch...just makes more work for ya...for anything else though im not sure...i used a cutoff wheel to get mine off in the car

As stated, it's not that necessary on a diaphragm style clutch. It helps with a 3 finger style though.

It seems to help the leg pressure involved. I converted to auto, pushed the clutch pedal to the floor, and the spring holds it there.

We also use the centerforce clutch and the manufacturer recommends removing the spring. I am very impressed with the light pedal feel and overall performance of the clutch so far.

-
Back