Over heating!

-

G0tdstd73

Reaction score
Almost complete with my restoration with my 440 Duster. I'm having an overheating problem. Tried larger radiator, thermostat, water pump, using a flex fan. I have no idea what is going on.

Almost complete with my restoration with my 440 Duster. I'm having an overheating problem. Tried larger radiator, thermostat, water pump, using a flex fan. I have no idea what is going on.

When is it overheating?

Out on the open highway going 45+?

Idling in traffic?

Not that it really matters but what temp thermostat?

Scared to run it on the road

You need to test your cooling system. Idling in a driveway (most likely with the hood open) is not a test of your cooling system.

Your hood is part of your cooling system......

Go drive it on a nice clear road at 45+ mph and see what it does.

If it runs cool at 45+ (or cools down at that speed), you have an airflow problem.

If it's still hot and doesn't cool down at a steady 45+ mph, you have a flow, capacity or tuning problem.

I have a 440. Schumaker headers, high performance cam, 3 flume radiator, brand new water pump and thermostat, flex fan, no radiator shroud!

I have a 440. Schumaker headers, high performance cam, 3 flume radiator, brand new water pump and thermostat, flex fan, no radiator shroud!

There's your problem.:D
Especially if it's fine above 35 mph or so.
Like 1968Formula said,
"You really do need to get it out and run it" before you can determin what you need to do, but I will tell you this.
There are VERY few people that are lucky enought to run a big block without a shroud and not overheat.

Would you go with an electric fan with shroud?

I do have electric on my mild 318, but I wouldn't even think about electric with a big block. (Need so much CFM) that the power draw would be knarly.

I ran and had issues with a 440 in my Roadrunner and this is my own best oppinion of what works well with them reliably.

Clutch fan
Good radiator
Shroud

I used a solid a flex fan and a clutch fan all three at one time or another.
The soild fan pulled the waterpump shaft out of the pump at 5400 R's twice.
The flex fan had less CFM and still got hot.
Clutch fan and a shroud never had another problem with it.

Thanks man. Sounds like I have some work to do!

Believe me you will be glad you did it.
It SUCKS sitting stuck in traffic and watching your gauge steadily climb and not a damn thing you can do about it.

The electric fans out of the 96 Lincoln's work awesome takes some juice and a relay but I ran it on a440 in my old charger two toggles one high one low speeds even in heavy traffic the high speed kept it at 170

The electric fans out of the 96 Lincoln's work awesome takes some juice and a relay but I ran it on a440 in my old charger two toggles one high one low speeds even in heavy traffic the high speed kept it at 170

What was the physical size of the fan?

The fan itself is like 16", but the shroud assembly is about 24"Lx18"H I think. And they're pretty low profile...as mentioned above, two speeds, drinks some current, but works really well. If you can't find one from a MK, late model Taurus cooling fans also work well.

A few questions

1. Is the gauge reading properly? Could be off or as stated an air pocket
2. How far is the fan from the radiator? Too far away and it won't pull air through the radiator. Plus I would ditch the flex fan in favor of a clutch setup
3. Properly tuned? Since you talk about it overheating while idling
4. Have you checked for coolant flow? Do you notice any cool spots on the radiator when it gets up to temp.?

The fan itself is like 16", but the shroud assembly is about 24"Lx18"H I think. And they're pretty low profile...as mentioned above, two speeds, drinks some current, but works really well. If you can't find one from a MK, late model Taurus cooling fans also work well.

Thanks I passed out last night lol

Not a problem at all! The Lincoln fans are a VERY popular upgrade for Mustang guys too...

-
Back