OVER-SPRAY REMOVAL ON TAIL LIGHT LENSES

-

CFD244

"I LOST MY ID IN A FLOOD"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Has anyone removed paint over-spray from a plastic tail light lens before? I don't want to risk scratching it with something too abrasive, or melting/hazing it with too harsh of a chemical. Real world experience please.

Edit: Demon lenses.

Thanks FABO

Last edited:
I would start with a clay bar...

How intricate are the lenses? I have sanded, polished & buffed relatively flat lenses with great results... But that would be hard if the lens isn't flat.. Oh, Mother Mag polish shines up pastic very well..

I used this stuff and it worked well

IMG_3142.png

Troy what I've used to polish our 67 cuda lenses is the 3M headlight kit. On sale cheap at Walfart. I know it wasn't for overspray removal, but it removed the dull/faded look and was very happy with it.

20240216_173203.jpg

Hi Folks

Has anyone removed paint over-spray from a plastic tail light lens before? I don't want to risk scratching it with something too abrasive, or melting/hazing it with too harsh of a chemical. Real world experience please.

Edit: Demon lenses.

Thanks FABO
You have a picture of how much over spray on your taillight Lense?
@CFD244 ???

FG821 Overspray Rem.jpg
Edit: I'd test it on something first. I've found this crap to be pretty weak on extremely old overspray but other people have melted plastic with it

Last edited:
Absolutely. I'll grab it from the shop tomorrow.
Great and hope I can help you. Been a body man and painter for 45 years and did my fair share of over spray on plastic that I had to clean up. :BangHead:

There's a reason why people take cars apart before painting them.... Might want to try that next time....

I have to ask, what is the overspray from? Spray can? 2k catalyzed paint? Makes a big difference. Goof off is good but there is another one with similar name. I always confuse the two and one is more potent and can damage plastics. Sorry I cant remember the name of the other one or which one to be really careful with. Point is, if using chemicals be sure to test on an area that wont be seen.

Just remembered....its "goo be gone". Still dont remember which one is more potent. Both are made for the same thing but one is way stronger.

There's a reason why people take cars apart before painting them.... Might want to try that next time....
LOL...............I bought the farging things like that. Probably some **** *** rattle can back yard job........No chipped edges or cracks so that's a positive :) Figured I couldn't lose for $20 bucks at a yard sale......Maybe good spares!

Another thing to try... In the model car world were they often strip fully painted complete miniature car bodies they use Castrol Super Clean... Soaking the fully body overnight or longer... The stuff comes packaged in a plastic bottle so obviously it doesn't hurt plastic...

And Yeah for $20 I'd have bought them too...

Here are the pics of the tail lights.....LOL, I guess that's more than a little overspray :)

View attachment 1716208240

View attachment 1716208241
OUCH! I'm not sure but the bezel around the lens should come off and then try to clean off the paint and if you're lucky and they didn't sand before they painted it the paint might peel off and then try to buff it out and you could try using a fine sandpaper then buff it out.

The lens is separate. If its just the bezel your concerned with I would use paint stripper on that after the lens is removed.

-
Back