Over the counter sleep aids.....

-
Rusty I don't personally have a sleep problem but my son (adhd) does. They make melatonin in gummy form. 1 of those and about 30 mins of relaxing he's out cold all night

All that crap they used to tell us when we were kids about the older you get the less sleep you need.... The older you get the harder it is to get a good nights sleep. Sometimes a mattress change will do a world of good. We got a sleep number bed a few years ago and it helped a lot for a while. Back to the struggle again of not being able to be horizontal for too long or the bones start aching. Ambien makes my wife sleep walk and talk in her sleep. Sometimes a good muscle relaxer will help.

Melatonin worked for me but had terrible nightmares to the point that I stopped taking it.

Have tried all sorts of stuff, OTC and prescription. General rule, for me, if it works it is only going to work for a few days. Aleve PM is one of the ones that will occasionally work. As well as Melatonin. Some say they have no groggy effect...ok, if you say so. Doc has given up on scripted stuff, pretty much tried it all. Either don't do squat....or in a half day fog.....or my favorite, get bizarre hallucinations from them. Valium was my favorite.
Xanax used to work. But that is one of the drugs that you get used to....and end up taking more and more. But has a tendency to keep you in a fog.
What is keeping you awake? Is it a "racing thoughts" issue or is it pain? Lot of nights I have to wrap my knees, if they touch while sleeping I won't be for long. Same goes for my wrists. And elbows.
This may sound corny but, in the past, the one thing that worked, day in and day out, was to meditate prior to bed. Lights off, unscented candles. Some Frankincense and Mehr (?) Incense burning. Either one of those tropical rain forest cd's playing very quietly....or my favorite was some old Native American man playing a flute CD. Really used to help clear the brain. Have to be able to put yourself in the right frame of mind for it to help. Wasn't for this there is no doubt in my mind I would have "gone postal" prior to leaving the USPS...

-
Back