Overdrive auto for a 383 72 Dart

-

Colts383dart

Reaction score
Just joined here and I'm trying to find out best fit for a 72-383 Dart currently running a 727 in front of 3:55 's just not happy with the RPM at cruising speed, I've researched Kiesler and discovered they declared bankruptcy and I don't want a gear vendors bolt on overdrive unit been told to do up a A518 been told 700R also 4l60E any help from anyone that has traveled this road would be greatly appreciated the car is running 500 hp

Whatever you use will need an adapter plate, unless you use the Mopar 833 4 speed manual OD transmission. If it was me, I would use the GM 200R4. Opinions vary.

Whatever you use will need an adapter plate, unless you use the Mopar 833 4 speed manual OD transmission. If it was me, I would use the GM 200R4. Opinions vary.

200R4 all day and day. If you have to cut the tranny tunnel (which you don't for the 200R4) why limit yourself to a 4 speed when you can drop in a 6 speed.

An add on called "gear vendors" has been discussed here

No Mopar OD auto will fit without chopping up the floor and enlarging the tunnel.

Can the 200R4 be built to take the punishment The 727 will? When were done we are hoping to be around 600Hp and 500/550 ft lbs I have no issues running a adapter as long as it will take the abuse when it's given and if this is a good fit does anyone have any good links or contacts?

Can the 200R4 be built to take the punishment The 727 will? When were done we are hoping to be around 600Hp and 500/550 ft lbs I have no issues running a adapter as long as it will take the abuse when it's given and if this is a good fit does anyone have any good links or contacts?

Art Carr has a 2004r that will take that kind of horsepower for a couple of grand.
There is an excellent thread on this board on the installation of a th2004r into a Cuda. It is under will a stock floor shift fit a 2004r (or something like that) Lots of photos for you to look at, and see what you'll get your self into.
Pat Storey at SMR transmissions has a bolt on overdrive adapter you might want to also think about. No cutting of floor boards, no adapter plates, etc. associated with the 2004r change over.

WELCOME Colts383dart,

Read your thread and thought I'd let you know that I'm in the process of building a 2004R for my '69 Cuda. I plan to build a 318/390 stroker after I install the 2004R in my Cuda. There is a thread showing all the problems I have run into and solved before I install the 2004R into the car. The thread is here:
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=252436

The thread began when Trogdoor asked a question about putting a 2004R into an a body with factory floor auto console. I was in the process of doing just that so I "highjacked" the thread. lots of pics and lots of detail. Not sure if your '72 body is much different but there are other folks here who will know for sure!!

Happy to answer any questions you might have (if I can, lotta smart people here).
Treblig

Attachments

• DSC01771.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 339
  • DSC01914.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 399
Mopar to ya has the 200R4 in a dart sport and has been running for 1-2 years now.

-
Back