Overdrive in Early A

-

Earlie A

Reaction score
I‘ve spent hours looking through the old posts on this subject, but I have found very little real first hand information on installing an OD trans in an early A. I am not interested in a Gear Vendors unit, or on information about 67 and up OD installs. Is there someone in FABO land that has installed a 42RH or a 200-4r in a 63-66 A body?

I‘ve spent hours looking through the old posts on this subject, but I have found very little real first hand information on installing an OD trans in an early A. I am not interested in a Gear Vendors unit, or on information about 67 and up OD installs. Is there someone in FABO land that has installed a 42RH or a 200-4r in a 63-66 A body?
There's some on here somewhere. You just have to search. Contrary to what the admins and mods say, I think the search function leaves a lot to be desired. But it's been done. Just know, you have a good bit of transmission tunnel modification ahead of you, as well as making up a custom cross member and of course drive shaft and "whatever" you will do for adapter plate and flex plate.

Not an early A but I've done it in B & E bodies.... In an early A I would expect to be doing major floor surgery but if that doesn't scare you then I can't see any reason not to do a RH42...

Try looking at an Aspen/Volare slant 6 A833 OD transmission. Look up Bridger Bollinger on the FM&J site, I think he may have what you are looking for. Just FYI, he is in Valdese, NC.

Yep. I’ve read about the surgeries, but mostly on later A’s. Early A’s are worse. Apparently the 200-4r is smaller, so less tunnel surgery, but need need the adapters.

42RH / A-500 in a Duster with pictures.

Here is one that might help but it's on a Duster.

Even a 727 is a tight fit in your car. You'll be cutting and beating the floor.
That’s exactly what I’m looking for, just in an early A. Wondering how much tunnel mods. Can stock bucket seats still be used? I have a 65 Dart GT and seats are wide and bolt right next to the trans tunnel.

That’s exactly what I’m looking for, just in an early A. Wondering how much tunnel mods. Can stock bucket seats still be used? I have a 65 Dart GT and seats are wide and bolt right next to the trans tunnel.
Possibly 66 seats and no console?

I know of a member on slant six dot org that did the 200r4 in a 68 Dart with a slant six. Street driver/drag car that gets close to mid 20's MPG, and runs high 12's in the 1/4 mile. This car is not just a "sunday" driver. It is a "long haul" driver.

I have already mocked up a 42RH/LA block in my 65 Dart wagon. I reworked the upper crossmember including the area where the transmission crossmember bolts up. Had to extensively enlarge the trans tunnel. As I am using what I have laying around, I used a 67-72 transmission crossmember that I modified and reinforced to fit the trans mount and lower crossmember. I am using 66 Dart seats as that what I had available - I think 65 seats would work if they’re not moved all the way forward. FWIW I added a 66 Charger front half console with armrest which does fit between the seats. I am using a 67-72 carpet set as it has a larger tunnel area which does fit quite well. I can dig out pics later
Don

Last edited:
I have already mocked up a 42RH/LA block in my 65 Dart wagon. I reworked the upper crossmember including the area where the transmission crossmember bolts up. Had to extensively enlarge the trans tunnel. As I am using what I have laying around, I used a 67-72 transmission crossmember that I modified and reinforced to fit the trans mount and lower crossmember. I am using 66 Dart sests as that what I had available - I think 65 seats would work if they’re not moved all the way forward. FWIW I added a 66 Charger front half console with armrest which does fit between the seats. I am using a 67-72 carpet set as it has a larger tunnel area which does fit quite well. I can dig out pics later
Don
Thanks Don. I have read a bit about your project, but your answers with the seats help. I'm guessing the wagon did not come with buckets originally? The mounting holes for the buckets are right next to the trans tunnel. Is your Dart on the road yet?

I know of a member on slant six dot org that did the 200r4 in a 68 Dart with a slant six. Street driver/drag car that gets close to mid 20's MPG, and runs high 12's in the 1/4 mile. This car is not just a "sunday" driver. It is a "long haul" driver.
The 200's are quite slender and from what I understand there's minimal mods needed. I think there is someone here who has modded one in. A search might find the threads.

Thanks Don. I have read a bit about your project, but your answers with the seats help. I'm guessing the wagon did not come with buckets originally? The mounting holes for the buckets are right next to the trans tunnel. Is your Dart on the road yet?
Yes, that’s correct. The wagon came with trashed front bench and rear folddown seat. I had the 66 buckets and a 65:66 Barracuda rear folddown seat and as I could get new upholstery from Legendary for that combo, it was a no brainer to go that way. It was a custom order - 66 Barracuda pattern in the 65 light blue metallic color. That color was original to the wagon

The 200's are quite slender and from what I understand there's minimal mods needed. I think there is someone here who has modded one in. A search might find the threads.
From the pictures I have seen the 200 is smaller and shorter that the 42rh. I'm hoping someone reading this thread knows of someone who had done the mod. I've searched for hours and come up with nothing on an early A.

I have already mocked up a 42RH/LA block in my 65 Dart wagon. I reworked the upper crossmember including the area where the transmission crossmember bolts up. Had to extensively enlarge the trans tunnel. As I am using what I have laying around, I used a 67-72 transmission crossmember that I modified and reinforced to fit the trans mount and lower crossmember. I am using 66 Dart sests as that what I had available - I think 65 seats would work if they’re not moved all the way forward. FWIW I added a 66 Charger front half console with armrest which does fit between the seats. I am using a 67-72 carpet set as it has a larger tunnel area which does fit quite well. I can dig out pics later
Don
My Dart has a 904 in it now. The front half of the 42rh should be the same as the 904, correct? So the tunnel mods are from the crossmember back? No enlarging in front of the crossmember?

My Dart has a 904 in it now. The front half of the 42rh should be the same as the 904, correct? So the tunnel mods are from the crossmember back? No enlarging in front of the crossmember?
Now that I don't know. I would have to read through posts to find out. I think od's are the way to go. As close to "best of both worlds" as you can get if mileage is on your list of things to conquer.

Putting the transmission in or finding the information? Or both? :poke: :lol: Looking for 200r4is one thing. 2004r might get you something else.
Using our search function. I ain't gonna mince words here. It flat out sucks dead elephant ballsacks and we've been ignored for years asking something be done about it.

Look, the only way you're gonna find out is to make your transmission decision and do it. I'm not bein smart, that's just how it is. Each of these cars is a little different due to assembly tolerances at the factory, so no two cars are a like. Your car may require a little more modding in certain areas than another.......then again it may require a little less. It's simply something you're not gonna know about until you get there. You just have to make up your mind and do it. Nobody else can do it for you and certainly not over the internet. After over a year of getting parts together, I am getting ready to get the sawzall and angle grinder out and hack the transmission tunnel out of a perfectly good 64 Valiant to put a world class T5 five speed transmission in it. I've read all I can get my hands on and it's about time to just start cuttin. Once it's cut, I gotta finish it up. Same for you. You just have to do it. Nobody on here can tell you exactly how hard or how much you're gonna have to mod on your car. All we can do is give you a "close guess". You have to do the rest.

Putting the transmission in or finding the information? Or both? :poke: :lol: Looking for 200r4is one thing. 2004r might get you something else.
Well I must admit I never thought of searching for 200r4. It did bring up some different stuff, but I'm still on the hunt.

-
Back