-

ir3333

Reaction score
..there is currently a thread on a new A body 6 speed...i did not want
to hi jack it.
For those who have installed an overdrive transmission
which one are you using,how does it perform
pros / cons?

It's all about rev reduction to make big gears more manageable. Fuel economy plays second fiddle.

I have the 42RH/A-500. 200r4 are popular too.

Other options are the a-833, NV3500, the R154, AR-5 (solstice), the T-56 variants.

...are the factory mopar overdrive units heavier than their 3 spd autos.
do the mopar overdrives have greater parasitic losses ?

I like the simple and cheap approach. The A833 4 speed over drive. Some people complain about the gear spread, but as long as you have decent power, it's not a problem.

...are the factory mopar overdrive units heavier than their 3 spd autos.
do the mopar overdrives have greater parasitic losses ?

Yes. Heavier and rob more power along with having to hack the torsion bar cross member up to make it fit.

We run 833 ods in a couple of b bodies and they're great for interstate driving.my buddy has a 69 gtx with 440,aluminum case 833 od,and 2.76 rear and loves it...also beats on it occasionally and it's been fine for 3 years now.

I like the simple and cheap approach. The A833 4 speed over drive. Some people complain about the gear spread, but as long as you have decent power, it's not a problem.

I've been doing alot of homework on overdrives and the A833 OD 4 speed seems like the simplest way to go if you're car is already setup for a manual, I wish mine was.

The best option for a street/strip drag car is a Gearvendors overdrive although very expensive.

Then, all the various overdrive automatics have their own ups and downs for a big block car, requiring quite a bit of work. It's a little easier for the mild small blocks that can go with the A500 and it fits good in an a-body.

833 OD would suit me fine except for arthritic problems. By "leg" could not handle a big stiff clutch, anymore. Unless I could figure a way to boost a clutch, that would be out. It's a RMVB for me!!

Yes. Heavier and rob more power along with having to hack the torsion bar cross member up to make it fit.

I didn't notice any power loss or effect of the extra 50lbs, but then again, I used a 9.5" converter with my swap. :D

833 OD would suit me fine except for arthritic problems. By "leg" could not handle a big stiff clutch, anymore. Unless I could figure a way to boost a clutch, that would be out. It's a RMVB for me!!

I good quality diaphragm clutch will fix all that.

I don't think it would, Rob. I can barely walk and not far. Hard or speed shifting would be a bad deal. I better stick with an auto

-
Back