Overheard at a car show

-
Only local show I put my truck in..........

My dad had one just like it..........
Is that a 440? (318 block)
And my favorite, "look at the power wagon"! (It's a two wheel drive)

I like this thread, a lot of good stories. I had a yard sale a couple summers ago. Some guy was asked me what I had in the garage, when I told him it's a 64 Valiant 225 slant with a factory Hurst shifted 4-speed, he told me a story. He said in 1966 he was doing so well at the track with a Hurst shifter that George Hurst introduced himself and coincidentally at the same time some big wig from Chrysler did the same... and thats why we have factory Hurst shifters! I guess he didn't hear me when I told him it's a 64. I just let him ramble. We need people like this, it's amusing.

I was just at a car show in Hobbs New Mexico . I got third place for my 73 dart sport . It has a 440 with a tunnel ram and 2-4s sticking strait out of the hood . During the awards they told me i was in the custom category because they didn't think it a muscle car , then when i was called to receive my award they called the car a demon .

LMAO! I have to admit I've never once been humped by a dog at a car show, but a little kid dropped his hot dog in the zoomies on the altered last year.

Leanne, you need to hit the sporting goods store and swipe the tops off 8 tennis ball containers. That would keep those hot dogs out of the zoomies. :toothy10:

I went to two different car shows last Saturday and took my `68 Barracuda. The first one was Mopar only and the people that came to see the cars were much more knowledgable than the "run of the mill" car show patron. These people knew terms like "H code, 4 piston discs, 906 heads, etc.. The show I went to that evening was all makes and I listened to two fellows as they were looking at my cars engine (an original 383 4spd. `68 Barracuda) that now has a 440-6 in it. The one guy tells his companion, "this is a `66 and look it`s got the 440 six barrel, not even a hemi". It`s really hard to hold your tongue when some of these misinformed people start spouting off.

Didn't happen at a car show, but in my own back yard. I have a cousin that prides himself on his knowledge of anything and everything, and since he worked at a Ford dealership, maybe he does??? Anyway, so me and my brother are removing the radiator support from a 69 Coronet we were parting out and we drill out all the spot welds and are trying to get it out in one piece, as it was in good shape. Ol' Cuz comes over to see what we are doing, and then see's that it is hung up and spouts off... "Well, you know that these had 7 spot welds on them from the factory, you must've missed a couple"!!! I look at my brother and he looks at me and we just keep working. The question running through my mind??? How the h**l would a Ford mechanic who had never even been under the hood of a 69 Coronet know how many spot welds were used to mount the radiator support??? MORON!!! I can't believe I'm related to this guy, but he is good for laughs!!! Carry on all, now back to our show!!! Geof

We have a survivor 69 GTS 340. It has never been touched. It went thru the Mopar Nationals UFS(Unrestored Factory Stock) and Carlisle CSO(Carlisle Standard of Originality) back when they did both. The stuff I hear people say about this car is Gut Busting LMAO hilarious. Why is the motor blue? It should be red. Why is the motor blue? It should be orange. Those are the wrong valve covers. It can't be a GTS it has drum brakes. It can't be a GTS there is no stripe. It is supposed to have a vinyl top.
And the best of all, the original owner decided the factory must have forgot to put a pentastar on the left side and added one. People just love to point that out.

I was at a car show with my 68 Dart GTS 340 when a fellow said " I had one of these back in the day but it was a 440". So I replied "Oh, wow you had an M code"? and he looked at me as if I had two heads and said "no , it was a hemi". I politely excused myself.

Same thing happened to me last month.

My 69 Dart was restored (not by me) to be an M code replica. It was a originally an H code 383. It has the original 4 speed so anyone who knows MOPAR knows it can't be a real M code since they were all automaitcs (and I don't say it is either like some a-holes-but that's for another thread) LOL)

In any event, after these guys see it s a 440 I tell them it was an original H code big block car and they said "Doesn't H mean HEMI- Why would you take the HEMI out and put this in???"

DUH

About two weeks ago I pulled the Barracuda into one of our local WAWA's To top off on some of that cheap 92 octane WAWA racin gas and get myself a coffee. One of the local fellers that I see around a good bit has a blown big block 57 Chevy. I never had a chance to look closely at the car before but having some extra time I started checking the car out and talking with the owner. I found out something I did'nt know......... An all steel blown big block 57 Chevy can PULL A WHEELIE at 55 mph simply by leaning on the "Go Pedal" a little to hard!! I was waitin on the punch line or some laughter but this dude was serious. Next time I see him I'm gonna ask for a ride.:mrgreen:

-
Back