Overheard at a car show

-

340john

Reaction score
I just got back from a car show in Macungie, PA. I couldn't get pics because my camera died. However, there was a nice selection of early barracuda's there a few Dart's, but interestingly no Dusters. Anyway, I heard a few comments that made me laugh. A man in his 40's looking at a '70 442 convertible with his son said "you don't see many 442's, people use these and clone them into GTO's, GS's and Chevelle's" I said to myself, well, that covers Olds, Pontiac, Buick and Chevy all in one car...he must know some great bodymen...or some real butchers. Then I was looking at a really pretty '69 Charger Daytona, when I hear one guy say to his friend, "wow look at this, its a Charger with road runner package" What are some of the funny comments you heard at car shows ?

I had a 71 gtx, 440 auto (orig 4 spd) and was at a car show with it. this guy who seemed like a know-it-all was telling his frfiend that my car had a 4 speed in it. I told him that it was in fact an automatic. He told me I was an *** for driving it without kickdown linkage and I was going to ruin my transmission. I smiled and said "Did you ever hear about manual valve bodies?"

I used to own a 70 4406pk Cuda in the 90's. I was at a cruise in and, a guy told his son," See son this car aint original cause hemi's didn't come with six packs." I had the delema of embarrasing this asshole in front of his kid or let it go. I let it go.

I had one just like it! (about my waggin) loL musta been the same one

What would you respond to someone telling you "my brother had one exactly like it, except it was bench seat with console", all the while talking about a four speed car.
Some of these comments are too common, and it just stuns me to the point I don't know what to say, or were to start.
Aside from saying, wow, good luck finding another one of them.

My first 67 Dart didn't have a hood. Had MOPAR valve covers and some one came up to me once and asked why I had a chevy motor in a dodge?..... After I stood there looking at him for a moment I educated him on mopars.

Okay this isn't at a car show but happens right here on FABO. People saying there MOPAR has a posi. You guys know who you are. :-D

it's short for "powerlok"(clutch type) or sure grip(cone type) or both wheel's spin the same direction.I have a posi.........in my ranger suregrip in the duster for the time being,and a powerloc with 4:30 to go in it and 3:91 powerloc for the barracuda

Everywhere i go i get the same question "WHY WOULD YOU RUIN A NICE CAR WITH ALL THOSE STICKERS" or "BOY YOU MUST REALLY LIKE RICHARD PETTY"

Picture 015.jpg

I used to own a 70 4406pk Cuda in the 90's. I was at a cruise in and, a guy told his son," See son this car aint original cause hemi's didn't come with six packs." I had the delema of embarrasing this asshole in front of his kid or let it go. I let it go.

I would have nicely educated him on his "Minor" mistake as so not to discourage his kid (Or him) from coming back or getting into cars. I have been victum to this many times and do not mined the talk and time it takes to teach.

I just hate the *** that knows everything and screams "It's the fact/truth, I had a HEMIQuaziMoto engine in my Chevy Maveric and it ran 11's outtta the box without a posi and 6 of us in the car!!!! And it looks exactly like your car!!!!!!'

"Dude....(Sigh) it's a Barracuda."

78kit car, nice kitcar. I don't think I have ever seen you post that up before.

I was at a car show with my 68 Dart GTS 340 when a fellow said " I had one of these back in the day but it was a 440". So I replied "Oh, wow you had an M code"? and he looked at me as if I had two heads and said "no , it was a hemi". I politely excused myself.

I had people tell me they had:
Factory 427 fuel injected Corvette.
Chrysler with the 440 Hemi.
Or your car isn't original because ----

Anymore when I'm at a car cruise or show I just smile and keep quiet when someone tells me off the wall things. I think of them as "sexual intelectuals" -you know "F*@^%*& know-it-all". I've had early Barracudas since 1967 and learned to drive in a Valiant in 1962, throw in a lot of Chevies in between & some racing - had to work on all of them or walk to work. I do all my own mechanical work. I think I know what I'm talking about but I'm still learning too.

I had one ask me y did i take out my /6 for that slow *** 273 a lot of wasted effort should have put a 383 or 440 6pack in and that he knows that my 273 was a dart motor?????not a Plymouth motor witch should have been a 318 poly????

I had to walk away!!

We've all heard the stories. The guys that says,"I had one just like it and I NEVER EVER got beat. Then he goes on to tell you all about how he beat the **** out of it and went off road with it and "still" it was the fastest car in his town. Then how he had to trade it in on a 4X4 that was 'THE FASTEST ONE EVER BUILT EVER!!!!. Then there is the person who is a car restorer afficiando expertsimo personifide who doesn't have a car at the car show, but magically seems to know right down to the last most infinite little detail about YOUR particular car and will tell you that this or that didn't come that way from the factory or that you used the wrong seal or gasket around a tailight or that the factory never made them as straight as yours is. So when you ask him "what did he bring to the show" you get a "uh, well I don't have a car here, but I got a factory original HEMI DART at home in the garage that I don't dare to take out. Yeah right!

I guess they make the car shows for us guys who do the homework and know the craft, lots of fun because like was said earlier, we can put our knowhow up against their so called wisdom and see who walks away with their tail between their legs or who smiles and says...show me yours and we'll see who's got what! Or sometimes it's fun to just set the hook and play along.

I've had people ask me what year is my NOVA...:toothy10:

OK, OK...To be fair, I removed all the chrome and "Dodge" insignas from my Dart...

DartGT010107008-1.jpg

I have a friend that is a ford man all the way....it floored me to hear him say the fastest car in his hometown was a 340 demon :snakeman:...never thought I'd hear that from him.seen him out run lot's of stuff with his maverick.he never lined up to my dart convertable.

it's short for "powerlok"(clutch type) or sure grip(cone type) or both wheel's spin the same direction.I have a posi.........in my ranger suregrip in the duster for the time being,and a powerloc with 4:30 to go in it and 3:91 powerloc for the barracuda

Thank's waggin, I know what posi means(both wheels spin at the same time) but that is not a MOPAR term as far as I know. I thought the term Posi-Traction was for the other brands. I have always refered to MOPARS as sure grips.

Walking by a fake 32 ford (glass body, off the shelf frame, crate motor, not an original part on the whole car) at a show I heard an old guy say "There are more 32 Fords now than there were in 1932!"

When I was running a chevy alternator on the 360 in my 73 Scamp I had guys walk by and ask why I put a 350 in a Dart.

Had some doofus looking at my car, telling his knuckle-draggin' buddy how fast these cars were when you got them with the 440 in it. Then "corrects" himself by saying that they only came with the 383.

Even had someone refer to my car as a '65 Duster.

Don't worry, guys... I"m sure we have all been that ignorant asshole at a Fiat show :D

I was just thinking to myself how out of touch I am on certain subjects but yet wouldn't DREAM of spinning a tale. Like standing in a sports bar explaining how Micheal Jordan is a great goalie....

To me this is what makes car shows fun. Listening to all these people who don't have a clue..... but try to fit in.

A man in his 40's looking at a '70 442 convertible with his son said "you don't see many 442's, people use these and clone them into GTO's, GS's and Chevelle's"

Actually Dynacorn, the company that makes the reproduction Camaro and Mustang shells are doing 70-72 GM A bodies now. 1 Shell for all 4 cars. You have to add the roof panel/quarter ect to build which car you want. So it can be done but its a whole lot of work to do on a used shell.

Its no different then building a Demon from a Duster.

I was just thinking to myself how out of touch I am on certain subjects but yet wouldn't DREAM of spinning a tale. Like standing in a sports bar explaining how Micheal Jordan is a great goalie....

To me this is what makes car shows fun. Listening to all these people who don't have a clue..... but try to fit in.

All in fun, I am clueless to the minor headlines in sports, and only know what I overhear on the broadcast news. Little interest in Pro sports especially. I love to jam players and teams into opposites, like Jordan playing for the Phillies, or when is the baseball Superbowl this year, etc, just to see the shocked expressions on the "HUGE SPORTS FANS" I am chatting with.

Tolerance of ignorance is about the only thing you can say about many of the people of the Earth. They walk among us...

-
Back