Overload shocks on a Duster?

-

jerame_c

Reaction score
My front suspension has been done for a while and its time to clean up the rear end. I am putting in the energy suspension poly bushings and replacing the shocks to see how I like it before I consider things like panhards or watts links. I have the PST bars up front so was thinking about stiffer springs in the back in some manner. While looking at shocks I came across these from monroe :
58496 :: e-Catalog :: MONROE® SHOCKS & STRUTS
Instead of being an air-leveling shock they are a shock and lightweight coil-over unit.
Has anyone run these or something like them on their cars?
They seem like they could be a nice way to freshen up some old springs, or they could be a great way to ruin the handling of a good car.
What are your thoughts?
Jerame

They are not a good replacement for a proper leaf spring. The shock mounts in these cars were not designed to carry the load weight of the vehicle. In more extreme cases, the mounts will flex and eventually fail. It is better to fix or modify the stock spring pack. A re-arch by a competent spring shop will restore some ride height without making the ride too stiff. Personally, I'd add a couple of additional leafs from a vehicle with similar length springs. As an alternative, Hotchkis does offer springs, AFCO and ESPY do as well. Beware of springs from other sources, as some are cheap Chinese steel that will sag much faster than a Tijuana boob job.

Those type shocks are counter intuitive to how a Mopar rear suspension works. Educate yourself how your car works, before making changes. You will find that the factory got it pretty darn close when it came to design. It is harder to improve upon than you think.

Ran them on a duster for a few years...nothing fell off the car...

I had sex with several women without using a rubber. Never had a "mother" call me with demands for child support but I wouldn't recommend that any more than the OPs idea.

Last edited:
My front suspension has been done for a while and its time to clean up the rear end. I am putting in the energy suspension poly bushings and replacing the shocks to see how I like it before I consider things like panhards or watts links. I have the PST bars up front so was thinking about stiffer springs in the back in some manner. While looking at shocks I came across these from monroe :
58496 :: e-Catalog :: MONROE® SHOCKS & STRUTS
Instead of being an air-leveling shock they are a shock and lightweight coil-over unit.
Has anyone run these or something like them on their cars?
They seem like they could be a nice way to freshen up some old springs, or they could be a great way to ruin the handling of a good car.
What are your thoughts?
Jerame
In my opinion the only way to go is to replace the leaf springs with new ones. Anything other than that is sub standard. Handling , traction , ride and safety will be compromised . Spend the money and get the springs (i purchased mine from mother mopar with extra arc ) you will not be sorry.

Jerame. There are two potential issues. The first has been covered and the second is potential for oversteer. It's only "potential" but if it happens it will only show up at the wrong place and the wrong time.

So be sure the car setup needs stiffer rear springs before going there. The overload or helper springs are for a vehicle that is always carrying extra weight or trailer. If the rear leafs are worn out or broken, these are not a good band-aid.

Panhard is much easier to do well than Watts. Definately should be considered when developing a car for very high speed events (such as road racing or the higher speed classes in Silver State type events). For vintage road racing, track days, etc a Chrysler leaf setup can be made to work. For street, the leafs will be good for the broadest range of conditions. A small rear sway bar can be added. But again, be careful of the possibility of high speed oversteer. Best to work with a company that has experience like Firm Feel or Hotchkis.

Stanley Springs (Harrisburg Pa) were all made here, and I assume still are. If you can't find a local retailer, these folks will ship:
Plymouth Leaf Springs
There's also a Dodge selection.

Another option, especially for autocross or track type use, is to adapt a circle track spring from Afco.

Those overload springs are more for your pickup truck that you bottom out with too much stuff on move day, but for a muscle car not really the best solution. They don't do anything just driving around with an empty trunk.

I used the same set of shocks on our 71 dart ..then moved them over to a 73 duster until the stock leaf springs replaced...both cars are alive and well....I know...In theory it should not be done..LOL...in theory...LOL

-
Back